Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson Funeral Memorial Scroll
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:22 am 
Site Admin

I had this Google alert about the presentation to the Worshipful Company of Drapers, one of the livery companies of the City of London, of the Nelson Funeral Scroll by the presenter's ancestor, John Vardon, painted when he was a child of about 10. It seems remarkably accomplished to me, considering it is by one so young. Note the ordinary seamen, one of them holding the edge of the flag on the funeral coach.

http://masterdraper.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -lord.html

I was amused by the following comment in the piece:

One final anecdote is that amongst other Nelson memorabilia owned by the Vardons was a lump of fossilised soup that had originally been served on HMS Victory on the day of the battle of Trafalgar. Johanna said she had surreptitiously tasted a flake of it when a child and said that it was still surprisingly chewy.

Eventually in 1947 the Vardon family decided to break up the lump with the major chunk being presented to Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip as a wedding gift. Some years later an enquiry to the Palace about the fate of the soup was, surprisingly, met with a response from the Private Secretary to the Duke of Edinburgh that it could not be found.

Mark - do you think the soup was genuine Trafalgar soup? :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Nelson Funeral Memorial Scroll
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 am 

Anna,

That's interesting, especially that it survived being in a biscuit tin for a number of years, but I am also sceptical that it was actually painted by John Vardon, when aged ten.

As they mention, a view of the procession (seemingly this one) was made as a souvenir, which could be made up into its full length. This I imagine is what John actually did, it having perhaps been bought for him – and the waviness of the processional line gives credence to the idea of its having been put together by a ten year old. If you look closely, one can even see the joins.

It is also quite detailed and surely far beyond the abilities of a child to paint. One interesting point about it, is that the flag or ensign that the seaman is holding at the stern of the funeral car, is blue (and of a rather strange design), not the white as depicted In most other representations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 pm 

Trafalgar soup? I just can't help admiring such a creative scam!

Now, did any of the corgis show any health problems after the wedding?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm 

I am quite certain that the painting is a child's copy of an original print.

I have seen similar prints from other processions - funerals, coronations etc. But having said that I can't recall ever seeing one depicting Nelson's funeral. I would love to know if anyone else has come across one, either in a collection, auction or whatever.

Anna - as for the soup. At last something I am quite certain is original and genuine. It just required one of Victory's crew to wrap a plate and its contents in a piece of clingfilm and drop it in his sea chest to bring home! :) Easy init!! :) :)

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:50 pm 

Mark,

Clingfilm? :shock:

So its true, there's nothing new under the sun! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 pm 

Clingfilm? A couple of layers of sea lettuce works just as well...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:08 pm 

Regarding these scroll "panorama" views of processions I had a quick dabble on Google Images.

I knew I had seen examples before and below are a couple of views of one for the Duke of Wellington's funeral procession. This one is - wait for it - 65 feet in length.

You would think that if they had been made for Nelson's funeral one would have survived somewhere. Maybe one will turn up in the public domain someday.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm 

2 more examples at the top here:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/bdc/exhibitions ... ilia.shtml

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

I found this recipe on another forum - submitted by Post Captain. Message to 'our' Post Captain: are you one and the same? If so, I hope you won't mind me pinching the recipe and posting it here! :) It sounds remarkably like Trafalgar Soup!

Portable Soup - A recipe from the Royal Navy which was issued to a ship by the Sick and Hurt Board and was kept by the Surgeon to give to patients who could not face the normal rigours of seaboard food.

Block of British Navy Portable Soup 250 years old - the Goverment "Broad Arrow" is clearly visible

Ingredients
1 beef shin bone(needs a good covering of meat or else you need about half a pound of stewing beef)
1 ham or bacon hock
1 oz anchovies
3 carrots, washed and sliced
1 head of celery, washed and sliced (not the green bits)
water
cayenne pepper

Ask the butcher to cut the shin bone into two or three large pieces. Put these along with the ham into a large pan. Gently heat them (and the steak if you've used it) until they are browned. You won't need any extra fat if it is heated gently. Add enough water to cover the bones, plus the carrots, celery and anchovies. Bring to the boil and skim off any scum which rises to the surface. Cover and simmer gently for about four hours. Remove the bones and strain through muslin into a clean pan. Leave it overnight and the next day remove any fat from the top of the liquid. Then boil it until it is reduced by about two-thirds. The colour should change to a rich dark brown. Add a small amount of cayenne pepper and pour the mixture into a shallow glass or earthenware bowl ( not metal, I suspect this could eat its way through stainless steel). Leave overnight then cut the soup into 'coins' about 5 cm. diameter and leave in a dry place for a few days. Keep them in an airtight container with paper between each 'coin'. N.B. Don't add any salt to the process, the anchovies provide that.
To reconstitute - place one 'coin' in a bowl and top up with boiling water. Stir well and give to your sick (or hurt) person. On no account should you touch this stuff if you're healthy!