Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Collingwood Society?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 pm 

Apparently there is a possibility of a Collingwood Society being formed.

What a great idea! The Collingwood 2010 Festival website is inviting your views and ideas:
Quote:
Latest News: There have been numerous calls for the formation of a Collingwood Society throughout this year [2010] of commemoration. Please e-mail us your views and ideas on this temporary address: collingwoodsociety (at) yahoo.co.uk
More here: http://www.collingwood2010.co.uk/
and here: http://joyfulmolly.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... t-and-you/
and here: http://oldcuddy.wordpress.com/2011/01/1 ... d-society/

Thanks to Molly Joyful for the alert.

Post subject: Re: A Collingwood Society?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Yes, indeed! I'd support a Collingwood Society. The 200th anniversary of his death was commemorated here and I privately sent our good wishes to the organiser of the commemorations on Tyneside.

Collingwood has his honoured place, and justifiably so, in the pantheon of naval heroes. But (injects note of controversy here!) has anyone else noted that Collingwood supporters do tend to be a bit 'chippy' about Nelson's pre-eminent status and will often bemoan the fact that Nelson overshadows him? No one can deny Collingwood's heroism, wisdom and humanity and to his admirers it may seem that these are unfairly eclipsed by Nelson's greater fame. But this is true of many men in the Napoleonic period - it was an age of heroes on a grand scale. I think it is fair to say, though, that Nelson's iconic status is deserved. Yes, he was a self-publicist; yes, he was flawed, and not the stainless figure that his early hagiographers painted. But he successfully fought three fleet-to-fleet battles - a feat unequalled by any of his contemporaries - and his flaws were vastly outweighed by his magical and engaging personality, his generous heart and his unparallelled powers of inspirational leadership - recorded time and time again by those who knew and served with him. Even Collingwood acknowledged, 'There is none like him left for gallantry and conduct in battle.'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 am 

I don't think any on this website at least would object to Collingwood having his own Society – certainly not me! A great idea indeed and I'm not really surprised at this decision – and think it will bring Nelson's old friend out further into public notice.

I'm sure some members of the Nelson Society and the 1805 Club will also want to become members of the CS when formed, but I'm not sure I will. I am already a member of the NS and have just joined the 1805 - so I think paying for yet another membership fee, which will probably be on a similar scale, will make it a bit expensive!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:01 pm 

Not forgetting the Society for Nautical Research (SNR), whose subsidary 'Save the Victory Fund' contributes towards the Victory's maintenance (pays for all the rigging!), conservation and educational officer - and so must come high on anyone's list!

Then there's the Navy Records Society and also the newly relaunched (in print) Journal for Maritime Research. This could get expensive!

It's a good point, Kester, and one that was already worrying me. I would join, but how many others would?

And if the society is formed and I do join, then I will definitely be operating a 'one strike and you are out' rule for any societies missing newsletters or failing their members in any way!

My email to the organisers suggested that the society shouldn't be too ambitious for this very reason. Maybe it could cut costs by using only electronic communications, and operate at a much lower subscription level.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 pm 

tycho wrote:
But (injects note of controversy here!) has anyone else noted that Collingwood supporters do tend to be a bit 'chippy' about Nelson's pre-eminent status and will often bemoan the fact that Nelson overshadows him?

The bands I like are obscure and will never make it into the top ten. That's fine for them, that's fine for me (and very likely fine for the top ten as well!), but it's still a great feeling convincing a friend to listen to one of their songs despite them not being top-selling artists. In other words: I don't want fewer attention for Nelson - I simply hope for an increased interest in Collingwood. Nelson loved, enjoyed and still deserves his iconic status while Collingwood, from all we know, wouldn't have wanted to be an "icon". He just wanted to see his achievements recognised and respected, and that's what we're trying to do: giving credit where credit is due. (I admit the occasional eye-rolling for journalists, though).

Molly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Molly said:

I don't want fewer attention for Nelson - I simply hope for an increased interest in Collingwood.

Amen to that!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm 

Last June, I was in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne for a Collingwood themed long weekend. Among the many locations our group visited was Trinity House. We were welcomed by Capt. Stephen Healy, it really was a fantastic experience! Capt. Healy talked about the formation of a Collingwood Society, and went on to explain that a planning meeting had already taken place. I have been keeping an eye out for developments ever since.
I hadn't seen anything until this morning, when I found notification the Collingwood Society is now up and running:
http://oldcuddy.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/coming-soon-the-collingwood-society/

Its reported it was launched on 21st October 2012, and its first AGM was being held 1st November 2012, at Trinity House.
The link above states the subscription as £45 for three years.

Profile E-mail