Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Woolwards - Lady Nelson's family
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 pm 

I got to thinking about this subject when I read the following from October 1905:

Quote:
A magnificent wreath, measuring over 3ft across, and composed of red and golden chrysanthemums, was, yesterday morning, placed on the tomb of Lord Nelson's wife, Viscountess Nelson, in Littleham Churchyard, Exmouth, Devon. The tribute was sent by the deceased's relatives, the Woolward family, who live at Dunnington Rectory, York. Attached to the wreath was the following inscription: - "To the memory of Viscountess Nelson, a good woman, and devoted wife. - From members of the Woolward family."

Lady Nelson was, of course, born Frances Woolward.

The Woolward then living at Dunnington Rectory was Reverend Spencer A Woolward. His grandfather - John Woolward - was a midshipman on HMS Alexander at the Battle of the Nile. This was presumably under Lord Nelson's patronage albeit I can't recall reading anything about this before.

There were later naval Woolwards and in at least 2 generations there was a John Horatio Woolward.

So they seem to have been justifiably proud of their association with Nelson.

Can anyone add anything to this story?

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Woolwards - Lady Nelson's family
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:28 am 
Site Admin

The preface to 'Nelson's Wife' by E M Keate also mentions Rev. Spencer Woolward but no other Woolward family members are mentioned. The author thanks 'the many descendants of Lady Nelson through Josiah Nisbet' for their assistance in preparing the biography, including the executors of Brig-General Horatio R Mends and Mr F H Nelson Mountjoy Humphrey-Davy, a great-great grandson of Lady N. so the Nelson connection was also preserved in the Nisbet family.

Others mentioned are: ; Miss Sheila Humphrey-Davy and Mrs (Gwladys Nisbet) Hannay- great-great grandchildren of Lady Nelson; Mrs Finney; Mrs V. O'Neale Neale, and Miss Harriet Mends - all great -grandchildren of Lady N; and 'connections' of the Nisbet family, Rev Bruce Evans and Commander Percy Nisbet R.N.V.R.

The 1901 & 1911 census returns for Dunnington Rectory might yield further information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 pm 

tycho wrote:
The 1901 & 1911 census returns for Dunnington Rectory might yield further information.

I don't have full access to "Ancestry" at home but I just keyed in the name Spencer Woolward to see if anything comes up.

There certainly seems to be mention on the censuses for 1861/71 & 81. Nothing later but might need to use different search criteria.

What is more interesting is that somebody seems to have put up a bit of a family tree and even a photograph of Reverend Spencer. However this info. is Private and to see it would require contacting the poster.

Regrettably I don't have time to follow this up at the moment so I will put it on the back burner for some future date.

Or if anyone else is inclined . . . . . !!

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 pm 

Lady Nelson was born Frances Woolward. Her father was WIlliam Woolward, a judge at the Court of Kings Bench and Common Pleas in Nevis, West Indies. She was brought up by a relative, John Richardson Herbert.

Oman, Carola ‘Nelson’, London, Hodder and Stoughton 1947
Keate, E M ‘Nelson’s Wife’ London 1939

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:50 pm 

I have a little information on John Cornelius Woolward, I recorded his grave a while back at St Lawrence's Church, Ramsgate. pictured below:

Woolward was the Grandson of William Woolward a sea captain. First cousin of Lady Fanny Herbert Nelson.
A silhouette of John Cornelius Woolward exists, again pictured below:

Woolward was, as has been mentioned at the Battle of the Nile, where he was meant to have suffered significant hearing loss. He finished his career as Harbour master, at Ramsgate, where he died in 1836.

I have found a nice blog that gives further information concerning his descendants, including some of the names previously mentioned in this thread:
http://stumblingpast.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/blog-header-%E2%80%93%C2%A0the-people/

Hope its of interest!

Richard.
Attachment:
1341325859_tmp_Ramsgate,_Woolward.jpg
1341325859_tmp_Ramsgate,_Woolward.jpg [ 44.55 KiB | Viewed 9345 times ]

Attachments:
1341326723_tmp_jcw-silhouette-colour[1].jpg
1341326723_tmp_jcw-silhouette-colour[1].jpg [ 26.46 KiB | Viewed 9345 times ]
 Profile E-mail