Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:59 pm 

I would be very surprised if Nelson had not read a great deal. I imagine that for captains and admirals, the constant deference shown by junior officers must have become very wearing, and I suspect books would frequently have been an invaluable and welcome retreat.

Thanks, Anna, for Colin White’s article on Nelson and Shakespeare, which was most interesting. It shows that Nelson was indeed very familiar with Henry V (obviously!) and a handful of speeches from other plays, however I do find the argument somewhat overstated. When Colin White wrote the article back in 2000, he was lacking a very useful research tool that is available today. Google Books now makes it very quick and easy to see whether specific phrases were commonly used during a range of publication dates, and it is very sad that Colin White is no longer with us to revisit the subject. My analysis here is very superficial, and I intend no disrespect whatsoever.

But, for example, Colin White said of the first quotation “Would it were bed-time and all well”, that it comes from a relatively obscure line in Henry IV Part One, and that it suggests that Nelson was familiar with the whole play. However, Google Books shows that it was not an obscure line, but much quoted, and even that Goldsmith had borrowed the line verbatim and given it to Miss Harcourt to quote in the relatively recent and popular play “She Stoops to Conquer” (as it happens, a play that Emma and Horatia saw a year or so after Nelson’s death). It is impossible to tell whether Nelson took the quotation from the original Shakespeare, from Goldsmith, or from others who used the quotation.

The “problem” is that so much from Shakespeare had entered the common language – then even more so than now. Roy Hattersley suggests of Nelson that “like so many Englishmen and women, he had absorbed Shakespeare through his pores” rather than through diligent study. For some of the quotations identified by Colin White, Hattersley is almost undoubtedly correct, while others must have come direct from the plays.

Take Nelson’s paraphrasing of a quotation from Hamlet’s soliloquy: “My health is such that without a great alteration, I will venture to say a very short space of time will send me to that bourne from whence none return”. Shakespeare’s original is “The undiscovered country, from whose bourn no traveller returns”, but Nelson has not taken his quotation from the original. The phrase had entered the common language, but most frequently used in the form: “that oblivious bourne, whence none return “, or “the bourne, from whence there is no return” or “that bourne from whence no traveller returns”, and Nelson's paraphrasing is closer to these than to the original. Google Books shows similar phrases used in literally hundreds of publications, including sermons and religious poems. It is perhaps more likely that Nelson got the phrase from his father than directly from Shakespeare.

Colin White has a second quotation from Hamlet and concludes that Nelson knew Hamlet fairly well. But the second quotation, “I take the Ghost’s word”, had not only also passed into common language, but the original actually included Nelson’s own name: “O good Horatio, I'll take the ghost's word for a thousand pound.” How many times would others have already quoted that to Nelson? Moreover, “I'd Take the Ghost's Word for a Thousand Pounds“ was even the title of a song published in 1790. With the benefit of Google Books to help me, I would say that Nelson’s knowledge of Hamlet is at best not proven.

A further example which is said to quote King John bears even less scrutiny: “I hope my dear Davison that Old England will be taken care of. If we are true to ourselves we need not mind Buonaparte.” A clue comes elsewhere in the letter: “Every time I look round, I see cause for thanking you. The books and pamphlets are a treasure.” A common patriotic sentiment at the time was that “As long as we remain united and true to ourselves, we never need to fear the threats or the attacks of France”, and William Pitt had been even more explicit in Parliament: “Whatever might be the future object of the Chief Consul of France, he knew not, but if it was to exercise a military despotism, he would venture to predict, that he would not select this country for the first object of his attack; and if we were true to ourselves, we had little to fear from that attack, let it come when it would.” Shakespeare’s words were “Nought shall make us rue, If England to itself do rest but true.” But I think Nelson was quoting Pitt and the pamphleteers.

One reference has me baffled. “Like meteors, they blaze away and are seen no more” is described as a quotation from Macbeth’s “Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow speech”. Yet although similar in meaning, I don’t see how something that includes none of the same words can be described as a quotation! Or what have I misunderstood?

Nelson’s “I do feel for I am a man that it is impossible for me to serve…” is also attributed to Macbeth which has: “I shall do so but first I must also feel it as a man”. Yet this could equally well be the common phrase “feel as a man of honour”, or “for I am but a man”.

Another falls into the category of a common saying, or even into the proverbial category. In Nelson’s famous letter to Fanny describing the near-disaster to the Vanguard in the storm, he says “I kiss with all humility the rod”. Colin White attributes this as a quote from Two Gentlemen of Verona: “Fie, fie, how wayward is this foolish love, That like a testy babe will scratch the nurse, And presently, all humbled, kiss the rod!”. However it is again more likely he heard this proverb in one of his father’s sermons, as it is much used in religious writings – for example in 1790 a closer match is: “they can in all humility and gratitude kiss the rod which chastises them”, and by Bishop Hall first published in the 17th Century: “But, howsoever, I do in all humility kiss the rod, wherewith I smart”. A closer quote from Shakespeare is actually from Richard II: “wilt thou, pupil-like, Take thy correction mildly? kiss the rod ; And fawn on rage with base humility”.

I doth protest too much, methinks. (And my English is none too hot, neither!) There are quotes that stand up perfectly well to examination, particularly from Henry V, King John, Julius Caesar, Othello and Much Ado About Nothing.

But isn’t it perhaps surprising that in all the thousands of letters written by Nelson, there are so far identified only about ten Shakespeare quotes that bear close examination?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that detailed and thoughtful reply, Tony, and for the closer examination of the Shakespeare 'quotes'. I think you and Roy Hattersley hit the nail on the head when you say that Nelson may well have 'absorbed Shakespeare through his pores'. Certainly, his use of the word 'Benedict' in a letter to his brother William, meaning a resolute batchelor who succumbs to marriage was a common figure of speech (see SOED) originally from 'Much Ado About Nothing', of course. Some of his Shakespeare-derived usages may well come from common parlance. Another possible source, apart from reading in his cabin, was from his visits to the theatre. Nelson was an avid theatre goer when ashore - on one occasion, in Birmingham, I think - Mark will know - he was invited to choose a play. Again, off the top of my head, I think he chose Shakespeare's Henry 1V part 2. This is the play in which the future Henry V turns his back on youthful folly and companions and devotes himself to his country: a very Nelsonian theme. And he must have known the play to choose it. But we can, as you say, absorb the phrases and cadences of language through frequent aural exposure (as Nelson did in his father's church with the Bible and the Prayer Book) expressions from which are echoed, often not completely accurately, throughout his writing. Direct exposure through theatre visits, as well as merely repeating common usages might explain some of his Shakespearean references. The Macbeth 'quote' you mention is indeed tenuous: Shakespeare actually wrote: 'Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more.' Yes, CW was stretching it a bit!

It also occurs to me that Dr Scott, knowing how poor his eyesight was, might well have read to him as he relaxed after shifting his paperwork, and Shakespeare would be an obvious choice.

It would be foolish to claim that Nelson was an avid bibliophile, and this thread is certainly not an attempt to do that; but neither was he the unlettered ignoramus, knowing nothing other than the language of the sea, that some of his detractors maintain. The 'pamphlets' that you mention would probably have been the reading material, sometimes purely factual, sometimes highly polemical, that was produced by the political journalists of the day and covered a wide range of topics on national and international affairs. Such interests, combined with history, poetry, plays and maybe (!) a bit of Shakespeare, indicate a man who had some degree of intellectual curiosity, who wished to keep himself informed on topics of contemporary concern, despite the exigences of demanding professional duties and the handicap of impaired vision.

I am probably breaching copyright here, but I cannot resist quoting the late, wonderful Bernard Levin's tour de force revealing how Shakespeare has entered our everyday speech.

"If you cannot understand my argument, and declare: It's Greek to me, you are quoting Shakespeare. If you claim to be more sinned against than sinning, you are quoting Shakespeare. If you recall your salad days, you are quoting Shakespeare. If you act more in sorrow than in anger, if your wish is father to the thought, if your lost property has vanished into thin air, you are quoting Shakespeare. If you have ever refused to budge an inch or suffered from green-eyed jealousy, if you have played fast and loose, if you have been tongue-tied - a tower of strength - hoodwinked or in a pickle, if you have knitted your brows - made a virtue of necessity, insisted on fair play - slept not one wink - stood on ceremony - danced attendance on your lord and master - laughed yourself into stitches, had short shrift - cold comfort or too much of a good thing, if you have seen better days or lived in a fool's paradise - why, be that as it may, the more fool you, for it is a foregone conclusion that you are as good luck would have it quoting Shakespeare. If you think it is early days and clear out bag and baggage, if you think it is high time and that that is the long and short of it, if you believe that the game is up and that the truth will out even if it involves your own flesh and blood, if you lie low till the crack of doom because you suspect foul play, if you have your teeth set on edge at one fell swoop - without rhyme or reason, then - to give the devil his due if the truth were known for surely you have a tongue in your head, you are quoting Shakespeare. Even if you bid me good riddance and send me packing, if you wish I was dead as a door-nail, if you think I am an eyesore - a laughing stock - the devil incarnate - a stony-hearted villain - bloody-minded or a blinking idiot, then - by Jove! - O Lord! – Tut, tut! - for goodness’ sake! - what the dickens! - but me no buts - it is all one to me, for you are quoting Shakespeare..."

A final thought: Nelson was not a deeply cultured man; indeed, he expressed regret at his lack of knowledge of painting when he spoke to Benjamin West. But he respected works of art, and, as this letter, (which I have quoted 'Inside Nelson's World, but which is worth repeating here) reveals, his heart was in the right place.

To J. Fagan, Esq. Rome

Palermo, December 19th 1799

Dear Sir,

Sir William Hamilton has been so kind as to communicate to me the distinguished honour intended me by the inabitants, by you and the Professors and Admirers of Fine Art at Rome, to erect a monument. I have not words sufficient to express my feelings, on hearing that my actions have contributed to preserve the works which form the School of Fine Arts in Italy, which the modern Goths wanted to carry off and destroy. That they may always remain in the only place worthy of them, Rome, are and will be my fervent wishes, together with the esteem of, dear sir, your most obliged servant, Bronte Nelson.

Contrast this with Napoleon's plunder of Venice - the city I love most in the world - which horrifies me every time I think about it: treasures looted in their hundreds and numerous churches of exquisite architectural beauty and significance simply razed to the ground because they were obstacles to Napoleon's grand scheme for the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Just wondering...........

when thinking about renewing my subscription to the Literary Review, I was suprised to see that the strapline of their website has a picture of Nelson (and two other worthies I don't recognise.)

http://www.literaryreview.co.uk/about.htm

I wonder why Nelson has been chosen for a literary magazine as opposed to a more 'bookish' naval/military figure; Field Marshal Lord Wavell, for example, the World War 2 commander who knew by heart every single poem in his wonderful anthology 'Other Men's Flowers,' enhanced by his own notes and observations.

Post subject: Re: Nelson's reading
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

One of only two references Nelson makes to his late mother was in a letter to an old friend in Burnham when, after some reminiscences of the past, he wrote: 'This talk of former days brings all my mother to my heart. which shows itself in my eyes.'

I was at a production of Henry V in Bath today, and noted Exeter's comment on the death of Suffolk:

'But I had not so much of man in me,
And all my mother came into mine eyes
And gave me up to tears.'

Henry V, Act IV, sc. vi

Here, 'all my mother came into my eyes' is a figure of speech, meaning not that thoughts of his mother made him cry but that his tears at Suffolk's death were a feminine weakness. I wonder if this is what Nelson meant: not that thoughts of his mother made him cry, but that thoughts of the old days in Burnham Thorpe had made him weep like a woman. Or, knowing his tendency to mangle quotes, maybe he really did mean that all the talk of former days made him recall his mother. I like to think so.

Post subject: Re: Nelson's reading
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:46 am 

Anna,

It seems likely that many of the quotes that are attributed to Shakespeare are actually earlier than the Elizabethan period, although those mentioned would not appear to come from the bible. 'Far be it from me' (is that Shakespeare?) to denegrate the bard, but was he not merely doing what Nelson is 'accused' of in a later period?

'What the dickens'? – he wasn't clairvoyant too was he, in the writing department? :wink:

Interesting as you say as to why the Literary Review should choose Nelson for their strapline – or perhaps we should say masthead, in this case? :) I don't know who the other two people are either but, from close scrutiny, one looks to be a doctor or surgeon perhaps, the other an artist.