Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ships at Gibraltar?
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:20 pm 

Can anyone suggest a quick way of identifying which RN ships were at Gibraltar during April 1806?

Post subject: Re: Ships at Gibraltar?
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm 

Tony

Can we have a bit more re the context of your question.

I believe there were still Trafalgar prizes at Gibraltar until at least March but had most likely left for England before the start of April.

If you have access to the Times/18th century newspapers database you can search on something like SHIP NEWS AND GIBRALTAR for April thru June and that may give you some clues.

Sorry not a direct answer to your question but hopefully of some help.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:49 pm 

Hi Mark, I'm trying to track a man who may have joined a ship in Gibraltar in April 1806. Once I have a list of ships that were in port, or came into port during April, it's going to be a case of slogging through the musters to see if he appears. I'm hoping the list isn't too long!

So far I have had suggestions of ADM 8/91 - Disposition of ships Jan-Jun 1806 and ADM 106/2023 Navy Board In-letters from yards: Gibraltar 1806-10. I'm doubtful either will provide the detail of all ships visiting Gibraltar, but I may have to use two or three sources.

I haven't yet searched the Times, but have looked at Lloyd's List. Ship News for Gibraltar seems very hit & miss!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:46 pm 

Tony

This might be a red herring - but it looks as if Gibraltar had its own newspaper by 1806.

Quote:
The Gibraltar Chronicle

The Gibraltar Chronicle is unique in the history of Gibraltar and the world of newspapers as the first issue appeared on 14th May 1801 and was owned by a trust of officers of the Gibraltar Garrison; since then, the newspaper has run continuously.

Today the Gibraltar Chronicle is an English newspaper printed locally and overseen by an independent Trust to keep the news unbiased.

The GC might have had detailed info re ship movements - but there again it might not!

The British Newspaper Library only has copies from 1825 but maybe the Gibraltar Historical Archive has a full run.

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/gibraltar-archives

Obviously don't know how much time/resources you have to put into this quest - but that might be a line of enquiry I would follow if I was really desperate.

As for then searching the musters of all the ships . . . . . . . . . . good luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 pm 

Thanks Mark. Yes the Gibraltar Archives do have a complete run, and would probably be a good source, but due to lack of forethought and planning I can only spend a couple of days on this later this week - hence my hope for inspiration on a 'quick way'!