Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson's Son?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Admin

I received this Google alert about a booklet on the history of the village of Bridgham in Norfolk. There is mention of an interesting Nelsonian connection, the naval chaplain, Stephen George Comyn ' a favoured sea chaplain on several of Lord Nelson’s ships. He secured the living of Bridgham parish after Nelson wrote to the Lord Chancellor on his behalf.'

Mr O’Neale [one of the authors] said there was strong circumstantial evidence to suggest the possibility that an illegitimate son of Lord Nelson’s was brought to the parish and may have been passed off as the rector’s son. He doesn't elaborate on this 'strong evidence'. I am sceptical. Is anyone else?

http://www.dissexpress.co.uk/community/ ... _1_2219521

Post subject: Re: Nelson's Son?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:07 pm 

It would be interesting to know much more about this clergyman and his son or sons. Quite often there is a grain of truth in every story that is handed down. Personally I like to keep an open mind until proved wrong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:29 pm 

Hmm. I'm rather scepticle too. If this is true why, from all the papers, letters, documents, anecdotes, stories, scuttle butt, etc., of Lord Nelson to date, hasn't anybody read or heard a mention of his having a son, illegitimate or otherwise, before now?

I did find this about Comyn on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_George_Comyn

I wonder if there is anything in the fact that his second son carried Nelson's name?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:18 pm 

As appear says, it would be useful to know more. Stephen Comyn's connection with Nelson is not in doubt, and one letter from Nelson to him about the appointment Nelson had obtained for him also carried a personal note from Emma in her own writing. Stephen Comyn's first son, George Robert Comyn, entered the navy and died aged 21 in the West Indies in 1816, and so must have been born about 1795. Stephen Comyn's second son, Horatio Nelson William Comyn, was supposedly baptized on board HMS Victory in 1806, but another source says he was baptized at Bridgham. Perhaps he was baptized twice.

So which son is supposed to be Nelson's illegitimate son (presumably the first?), and who is suggested to be the mother?

Presumably all the information and evidence is in the book. At 384 pages, it must be a pretty detailed history of Bridgham. If not, the author's contact details are in the article.