Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: trafalgar /foreigners link
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 am 

hi,just found this from the channel 4 i think series about foreigners in the navy at trafalgar,go to liveleak.com and in search put bloody foreigners thers 3 parts but quiete interesting

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: trafalgar /foreigners link
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi!

Thanks for the link. I've had a quick glance and look forward to settling down to all three parts when I have time. How interesting that there is a black sailor on one of the plaques at the foot of Nelson's Column.

I bumbled about a bit to fnd the link but here it is:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=99f_1277775238

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:38 am 

Well, I think to most of us here there probably won't be any startling revelations – certainly not the fact that there were, or the numbers of, foreign seaman on board British ships. However, it might be interesting.

What I thought was interesting was the fact that there was a black seaman represented on one of the plaques at the base of Nelson's column. I'll have to check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an interesting addition to the topic of foreign seamen in Nelson's Navy: Captain John Perkins was not only black, but achieved the rank of post-captain, a superb achievement. There is a short (and expensive) biography available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Perkins-Ro ... 6136990865

There is also an entry on wiki but each time I try to post it here it goes wrong. Use Captain John Perkins RN as a search term and see if it works then.

Digression: Tony - I know you don't like the term 'Nelson's Navy' and I understand why. It's very useful shorthand,though, for 'the Royal Navy of the late eighteenth century' or 'The Royal Navy during the period of the Napoleonic Wars.' I suppose 'Georgian Navy' is equally fitting. Perhaps we should encourage the use of that term?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:35 pm 

I would actually steer well clear of that book. It is a print on demand book, cobbled together from Wikipedia articles. (From the product description: 'Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online'.) Instead, just read the excellent Wikipedia article written by member corneredmouse online here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Perki ... officer%29

Also see his contributions to an earlier thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=892

And yes Anna, 'Georgian Navy' is good, although I am sure I have used the term Nelson's Navy myself as useful shorthand despite my objections to it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the warning, Tony - as you know, I am so pressed for time at the moment that I can give only cursory glances to matters of Nelsonian interest, though I do try to keep in touch! Sorry, folks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:27 pm 

Perhaps the warning may be timely - despite their bad press, these Wikipedia based books are proliferating rapidly, especially relating to Georgian Navy :) subjects, and it's easy to get caught out on Amazon, etc. I wish Amazon would have the decency not to list them in their own store.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:55 pm 

I agree Nelsons Navy jars with me,Georgian or Sailing Navy would be much better.While on the thread one other irritation is the myth about Nelson looking at trees for HIS navy in the Forest of Dean,the sooner this is laid to rest the better. :?

Profile E-mail