Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The War of 1812
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:33 pm 

Kester mentioned the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, and some discussion on Twitter took me to the official US Navy site for the Bicentennial: http://ourflagwasstillthere.org/

I am curious to know what you all make of the site. Has America's navy been keeping the sea free for more than 200 years?

Post subject: Re: The War of 1812
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 pm 

Tony,

An interesting site, with a great deal of information. However, as to whether the United States Navy has been keeping the sea free for 200 years, I am not so sure – and I sense from your question, you are not that sure either! In 1812, and for some time after, the fledgling American navy was small, whilst the British navy was certainly superior in numbers and probably in efficiency – leaving aside the good fortune that the former had with its large frigates against the RN, in both the War of Independence, and that of 1812. I think it is also worthwhile taking into account the mindset of both countries and purpose of both the USN and the RN.

The formation of the USN, as we know, dates from the War of Independence, but its very beginnings were much disputed between the various parties and States. Because of this one gets the impression that the navy grew in fits and starts, and I believe the concept itself was shelved at least once. The USN is claimed to have begun with six frigates, one of which is the now preserved Constitution, which proved largely superior during both the W of I and the War of 1812 against the RN. Their captains and crews also proved brave and efficient in those engagements. However, up until more recent times, I believe the USN was rather more centered on American interests rather than being a world force, even though there were incidents in which the US was involved. That of dealing with the Barbary pirates in the years after the War of 1812 was one, but here the USN did not act alone since the pirates were also the bain of European nations. Much is also made of the cruise of the American White Fleet in the years following the turn of the twentieth century. However, even though there was some trade to protect, one gets the impression that from this period onwards, the idea of the USN was more to project power than for any other reason. Many would say that has not changed.

The raison d'etre for the Royal Navy was somewhat different. Obviously it is a far older institution, and can date is beginnings as a cohesive force probably from the mid-seventeenth century (although a navy of sorts was in place much earlier than that, with origins traceable back to King Alfred). Although the RN was also used for power projection from its inception, against the navies of other European powers (the Netherlands, France and Spain), other important reasons for its existence were to protect its world-wide trade, its colonies and the burgeoning empire (and to some extent the other European nations were doing the same). Great Britain, of course, is an island and the majority of its raw materials, even today, have to be imported by sea. A large, efficient, ocean-going navy was therefore rather more of a necessity. Following the Napoleonic Wars, during the nineteenth century, the RN also took the lead in ending the then existing slave trade, charted the world's oceans and led expeditions. There were also other wars such, as the Crimean war and other smaller disturbances in which the navy was engaged.

With the two World Wars, Britain's main interest was once again in Europe, but with the Royal Naval commitments and conflict worldwide. It could be argued that it was the Second World War that really projected the USN onto the world stage, with its war against Japan, and from where it has become the naval force it is today. This, I believe, is a role it largely took over from Great Britain. Thus I would say that it is, arguably, the Royal Navy that has kept the seas free for most of the last 200 years!