Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm 

I live in Toronto Canada. An ancestor, William Davis, born in 1775, was a silversmith at Windsor Castle and was said to be a "favoutite" of George the Third. In a box passed down to me are several seals and sealing wax. One has the initials WD and another has the word NELSON and a star. In the collections of the British Marine Museum I have found two identical seals (item ID # JEW0087 on the web site). I have read that a similar seal was found in the remains of the Agamemnon but I have not found a photo. I would be pleased if anyone could give me more information about these seals. Many thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Seal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 pm 

Hi Graham,

I'm afraid I know nothing about these seals, but here is a link to the one in the NMM: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... 36238.html What is the design in the centre of the star? It is too small for me to make out in the photo.

Actually, they have two. This one is slightly different: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... 36239.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:06 am 

Graham, Tony,

The presence of the star on the seal is intruiging. I wondered initially if it could be either be a) the Star of the Order of the Bath, which of course Nelson was awarded in 1797; or b) the star of his rank of Rear Admiral, which he also became in 1797 until his promotion to Vice Admiral in 1801.

I have since tended to discount 'a', due to the fact that the configuration of the star is seemingly incorrect and the motto, 'Tria Juncta In Uno' and the three 'crowns', appear to be missing from its centre. I rather think the star might therefore be that of his rank and this would seem the most likely explanation, seeing that it was for an official seal. I can't exactly say what is in the centre of this star, but it appears to be a symetrical criss-cross of lines in a star shape (or that is what it looks like from my Nelson Society bust, which is thought be accurate.)

I imagine other officers might also have had them, which is suggested by the fact that one was found in the wreck of the Agamemnon. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm 

See this PDF for photos of the seal recovered from the Agamemnon: http://www.abc.se/~m10354/publ/agamemno.pdf

If this was the design of Nelson's personal seal, then why would other officers have a copy? That would surely defeat its purpose?

Nelson was granted arms in 1797, being (to use most incorrect language) the cross with diagonal band of three exploding bombs, later further augmented. I can't see Nelson using an admiral's star when he had something so much more grand to use!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm 

Tony,

Thanks for posting an illustration of the Agamemnon seal.

Regarding the Nelson seal, I was really just surmising. However, if it is neither of those I suggested, I can't see what else it might be. Unless I am mistaken, it doesn't appear to be his arms.

I was not actually suggesting that Nelson's own personal seal was similar to others since, as you say, this would defeat the object, but maybe there were other lesser seals which, say, Rear Admirals might use in more mundane correspondence. I admit I might be out on a limb here. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:52 pm 

Thank you very much Tony and Kester for the information and in particular the photo of the seal recovered from the Agamemnon. That seal face seems to be the same as the seal I have. My seal is almost (but not quite) identical to the one in the first photo of the seals in the museum. The other two are the same (or close) but with different handles - fobs? I am intriqued as to why there are so many of these. Could it be that it was a commemorative seal manufactured after Nelson's death? The agamemnon sank 4 years after his death I believe. Could they have been gifts to officers or crew? What makes it interesting is that we have four seals all with different handles and other slight differences. Thanks again from frigid Canada. I appreciate the help.

Profile E-mail