Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Antiques Roadshow - William Westenburg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm 

One of the items featured on last nights Antiques Roadshow was a memorandum written between 19 - 22 October 1805 by William Westenburg, Assistant Surgeon on the Victory. This was several handwritten sheets presumably compiled shortly after the battle and which had been in the owners families possession for some 150 years, although I don't think he was related to Westenburg.

The owner highlighted a particular section which referred to the manoeuvreing of the Victory on its approach, a 'swerve' down to the rear of the French line before swerving back in again. He thought this action was not normally commented on in most history books and would therefore have made the item more valuable. However I presume this comment would refer to the Victory turning to starboard away from the Santissima Trinidad before turning to port again to pass astern of the Bucentaure, the manoeuvre which is described in detail in the two specific books I have on the battle.

The expert valued the document at around £5,000.

William Westenburg's name amd career doesn't seem to appear much in relation to Trafalgar, Beatty of course normally being the only surgeon mentioned and I was wondering if anyone has any further details on him or suggest where the information may be found.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Antiques Roadshow - William Westenburg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 pm 

Phil,
Nelson's Surgeon, Brockliss, Cardwell and Moss (Oxford university Press 2005) Mentions Westenburg a couple of times:

Page 107,
No record of Westenburg's examination for mate or asisstant has been found before January 1807, when he failed, suggesting that he had been warranted acting mate by Nelson sometime before Trafalgar, and was of limited ability. Neither had experience of battle. [Smith the other Asisstant Surgeon on Victory]

Page 159,
The careers of the asisstant surgeons Smith and Westenburg were equally unspectacular, according to the naval service documents in the National Archives. Westenburg served as acting surgeon on the sloop Atalante for two years 1808-10, then disappears from the records: presumably he eventually went back to Holland, which seems to have been his country of birth.

Richard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:59 am 

Phil

I searched on a few resources that I have access to and, unfortunately, I have very little to add.

Just that the Ayshford Trafalgar Roll has that he joined Victory from HMS Renown on March 16th 1805.

There are a couple of old Dutch newspapers that you can search on line but I couldn't find anything meaningful there.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm 

Richard/Mark

Thank you both for your replies and the information.

It would appear then that Westenburgs own memorandum is the only real detail about his involvement at Trafalgar. As I said, the document looked as though it ran to five or so pages so presumably there would be some personal observations on those hours he spent in the sick bay, particularly when Nelson was brought down for treatment. But I suppose as these papers may stay in private hands, then we may never know anything further about it.

Phil

Profile E-mail