Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: William O'Byrne . . . . . . wow, that's amazing!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:39 pm 

Most here will be aware of O'Byrne's Naval Biographical Dictionary which was published in 1849 - extending to some 1400 pages and 5000 entries

I remember reading some while ago that it was pretty much the work of O'Byrne himself, and one assistant, and that his health suffered quite badly under the strain of the task.

BUT it has only recently come to my attention that William O'Byrne was just 20 years old when he started on this monumental project (1843) and just 26 when the Dictionary was published.

He had no service in the Navy but somehow convinced senior staff at the Admiralty to provide him with an office and massive access to Admiralty records.

And of course he had to gain the confidence of the most senior Naval officers.

I don't know about you, but I feel in awe of the man!!

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: William O'Byrne . . . . . . wow, that's amazing!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:48 pm 

O'Byrne's was a very early addition to my library, over the years it has proved invaluable. The history behind the production of the work was a subject I had never really considered. Many thanks for the information Mark, what an achievement in six years.
A must have reference work O'Byrne's versatility has always appealed to me. When any spare time presents itself, I often randomly flick through the biographies. The Appendix also contains some fascinating information, which according to the preface was compiled with the help of William O'Byrne's brother:

'It would be unjust to terminate this series of grateful aknowledgements without mentioning the aid I have received from a member of my own family, my brother, Robert Henry O'Byrne, author of the 'Representative History of Great Britain and Ireland;' to whose affectionate zeal and energetic exertions I am indebted not only for the compilation of the greater part of the Appendix, but for the collection of a large portion of the details on which the work was founded.'

I recently purchased a modern naval biographical publication, 'British Naval Personalities' by Mark Quinlan.
http://www.authorsonline.co.uk/book/665/British+Naval+Personalities/

I find very useful.
Richard.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: William O'Byrne . . . . . . wow, that's amazing!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 pm 

Amazing and useful but not actually written by O'Byrne. Officers were invited to write their own entries (and it tells - some boastful, some omitting details of humble parentage, some avoiding reference to embarrassing career details etc): O'B just put the material together. Though that was quite a job.

Brian