Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unseen Nelson portrait
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:13 am 

Quote:
It hung ignored in a school common room for years, surviving numerous near misses with stray table tennis balls.

But now this portrait of Admiral Lord Nelson, five years before his death at Trafalgar in 1805, has been valued at £100,000.

He is shown wearing his naval uniform with his right sleeve pinned to his chest, having lost his arm three years previously, and with no sight in his right eye, which was injured in the 1794 raid on Corsica.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Oh and look at one of the comments....'Who is Nelson' :roll:

Post subject: Re: Unseen Nelson portrait
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 am 

This pencil and ink drawing is described on pages 17-20, 197, 146-8, of the 'The Nelson Portraits', by Richard Walker, although the information says that it hangs at the Royal Naval School, Holbrook (as it then was).

The expert on the show was correct, in that it is by Henry Etheridge (and drawn in 1797), but appears to be a little out in saying that it belonged to Earl St Vincent. The information in Walker's book says that it was commissioned by Sir Henry Engerfield, brother in law of Richard Bulkley (an old comrade of Nelson), and on his death it was sold at Christie's, on 8th March 1823, to Sir Everard Home. He was the son of Vice Admiral Sir George Home, and he bequeathed it to the Royal Naval School in 1854.

In passing, it is unusual to see Nelson minus his decorations – apart from his medal for St Vincent, and the sash of the Order of the Bath. It is rather confusing though to show a different portrait of Nelson further down.

Oh, and the head boy is no relation – so far as I know! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:00 pm 

Kester, I was thinking I'd seen this before. I think he looks very young in it, but also a little tired.

I try not to read comments on Nelson-related articles as they tend to annoy and/or anger me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:12 pm 

Royal Hospital School, Holbrook, Suffolk. This school is an impressive place to drive through, as some of its houses and buildings are scattered either side of the B1080 road. A truly beautiful setting for a school.

I wonder how many more pictures like this one of Lord Nelson are hidden away. I have added a couple of links to the Royal Hospital School as it is today and another link to its origins.

http://www.royalhospitalschool.org/default.asp?page=672

http://www.rmg.co.uk/visit/exhibitions/ ... ol-gallery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 pm 

Starhawk wrote:
I try not to read comments on Nelson-related articles as they tend to annoy and/or anger me!

Vicki,

You and me both! I particularly took aversion to the comment from across the pond, re. John Paul Jones. I doubt there was much he could have taught Nelson! I see someone has put him straight. :lol:

I am sure you have seen the portrait before, as have many others – including obviously Richard Walker – as it is quite well known. The article does not give this impression, although of course it might be generally unknown to the school. I would say that he looks tired and drawn, rather than young (although I think being tired can often produce that effect.) My guess is that this portrait is one of those which shows him 'warts and all', ie. it is an honest representation. Not surprising really, since apart from the worries of command and his injuries, it was just at this period he was also going through the turmoil in his private life, re. Emma and Fanny.

Appear, thanks for the links to the Royal Hospital School. Most interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 pm 

to throw a little more confustion on the subject ,ive the book by john sugden Nelson a dream of glory the very same picture is on the page after 304 exactly as described by the expert ,lol ,Paul

Profile E-mail