Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson's 'father' letter to Horatia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 am 

It looks as though Nelson's 1803 'your most affectionate father' letter to Horatia made an appearance in Cheltenham this week during an 'Antiques Roadshow' filming: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... story.html This must be the famous letter acknowledging her as his daughter.

Post subject: Re: Nelson's 'father' letter to Horatia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Site Admin

If this is the genuine article, then it is an amazing discovery.

Many old members will recall a long discussion on the old forum when a facsimile of this letter appeared for sale on ebay purporting to be genuine and was finally shown to be false. A virtual trawl through various museums established that even the NMM's letter was a facsimile and no trace could be found of the original. There was speculation that it might well have perished in the Blitz on the City of London in 1940, having been placed for safety in a bank vault by its owner.

Some superfically convincing facsimiles of this letter are still in existence as copies of this and another letter that Nelson wrote to Horatia were presented to subscribers to the fund that was set up to alleviate Horatia's financial difficulties in later life. But the experts have presumably established the authenticity of this newly-revealed letter. In which case - phew! I think £25,000 is a conservative estimate of its value. The famous 'I can neither eat nor sleep' letter to Emma was sold in 2005 for £117,000.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:50 am 

I agree. If genuine, as it obviously seems to be, then £25,000 is likely to be a very conservative estimate. It must have been almost a 'pin-drop' moment – I wish I'd seen it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:43 am 

My first thought was whether it might be a facsimile. I wonder if any doubt will be expressed in the programme - I think we may have to wait until autumn to see!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:04 pm 

Even the owners thought it was a facsimile - this is a comment added to the Gloucestershire Echo piece:
Quote:
“Again the echo has misrepresented the facts which will be shown when the programme is aired in the Autumn...

What I actually said was that the letter belongs to my wife and her siblings and that selling the letter was not uppermost in her thoughts as we thought that the letter was a facsimilie...

It was a pleasure to be part of a very well produced and extremely professional programme as I am sure the 3000 people that turned up will testify.