Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stern Galleries
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:16 pm 

In 'The Letters and Correspondence of Henry Addington,' which I'm reading at the moment, there's a reference to a conversation with Nelson in one of Nicholas Vansittart's reports during the Copenhagen expedition:

Quote:
"The next morning I received
a message from the Admiral requesting to see
me, and I accordingly went on board his ship, and
had a long conference with him and Lord Nelson,
and a very interesting conversation with the latter in
the stern gallery, while Sir Hyde Parker was writing
the letters of which I was to take charge. We were
inconveniently crowded in the Kite, and had a contrary
wind, which occasioned us to be nearly a week
on the passage to Leith, which was the first British
port we could make, and from whence I came to
town with the despatches, leaving Dr. Beeke, who
was again indisposed, at Edinburgh."

Nelson's private conversation with Vansittart in the stern gallery of Hyde Parker's ship is interesting in itself and indicates perhaps that a lot of politicking went on.

I know so little of the working of the ships of the time or their construction, but it got me wondering about stern galleries and what their purpose was. Were most large ships of the line built with stern galleries, and how did they connect to the ship? Were they for decorative purposes or actually used by officers and men in the running of the ship, more than a place to hold a confidential conversation, as seems to be the case here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 pm 

The Stern Gallery was, to all intents and purposes, a balcony which extended out from the Great Cabin. Officers accomodation at this time was always placed aft, housed in the stern. The Captain would occupy the cabin furthest aft, and this position lent itself to a row of windows. During the 17th century the stern became a grandiose affair, becoming dominated by elaborate carvings around the windows and a gallery (or balcony) was added - this was curtailed in the early 18th century, and by the end of the century sterns were still ornate, but painted, rather than carved and only the largest ships retained the gallery.
They were then, exclusively for the use of either the Captain or, if embarked, the Admiral, and the exclusive few that were invited in. They were, basically an extension of their cabins.

The larger ships (1st or 2nd rates) had cabins on two decks, to accomodate both the Captain and an Admiral, both having galleries. The smaller ships of the line (74s, 64s) had one gallery and the smaller rates had none, making do with just a line of windows.

By 1800 they were completely out of fashion, and steadily disappeared; the Victory for example, when originally built in 1761 had an ornate stern with two galleries; re-built in 1801 the galleries disappeared. Curiously, they reappeared in the mid-19th century, before again disappearing with the appearance of steam and steel.

Post subject: Stern Galleries
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 pm 

Thanks again PhiloNauticus,

You paint the clearest of pictures.

J