Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson as leader
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 am 
Site Admin

I am looking again at a book I raced through too quickly when it was first published in 2005 to mark the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar. The title is 'Nelson's Way: Leadership lessons from the Great Commander' and it is written by Stephanie Jones and Jonathan Gosling. The book is intended to be not just an analysis of Nelson's genius, but a practical handbook which points out ways in which Nelson's qualities of leadership are transferable skills that any aspiring leader can apply to his own situation. I'll post a review in the Book Reports thread in due course. in the meantime, however, I thought I'd post the chapter headings, each chapter being devoted to an aspect of leadership that Nelson embodied, namely: heroism, vocation, courage, passion, loyalty, diligence, inspiration. and glory.

While I am sure that anyone with the ambition to be a leader could learn something from this analysis, I wonder whether true genius like Nelson's can be taught or whether it is innate. I know that some modern researchers assert that genius is all a matter of practice. Excellence, certainly, might come from application - but genius? I'm not so sure.

Post subject: Re: Nelson as leader
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:54 am 

Anna,

I am aware of this book, but have not read it. I am sure it is an interesting read but, like you, I am rather scepticle if it proposes that everyone can become just like Nelson through training.

Teaching Nelson's leadership skills is no doubt a good idea and much can be learned from how he managed to get the best out of his men, but the same could be said of many other naval officers. However, does everyone have that little extra that makes them a genius, which to me was Nelson's intuition, humanity and charm? I very much doubt it. If that were true how is it that all naval officers were not geniuses? No, I rather think that a genius is born, not made.

To take another analogy, why is it that Mozart was (and is) considered a genius, and thousands of other violinists aren't? They're just good – but not that good.

I think there now might be a similar book on Wellington. There will probably soon be one of those yellow books, entitled 'Nelson's Leadership Skills for... ' :shock:

Last edited by Devenish on Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 am 

Well, where I work, the managers and team leaders go on more or less the same training courses in 'people management' etc. And still, some of them are far better at getting the best out of their team, meeting targets etc etc, than others. I think techniques can be taught, but the personality to be able to implement them effectively, and to think 'outside the box', especially when a situation does not meet with any you've been taught to deal with, is something that you're either born with, or not. I think a 'genius' also needs qualities like creativity, imagination, passion, drive and determination, and those things can't be taught, either.

I'd be interested to know how 'heroism' can be applied to a team leader in most working environments! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:55 pm 

Starhawk wrote:
I'd be interested to know how 'heroism' can be applied to a team leader in most working environments! :lol:

Vicki,

Perhaps it's by heroically getting that order through for those paper clips, in double quick time!

Seriously(?) though, very well put. Er, you're not the genius in your office are you? No need to answer that – I can guess what you'll say! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm 

haha, I'm saying nothing :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:55 am 

No opportunity for heroism in the office? Try telling your boss he is wrong...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Admin

A nice example of leadership appears in a letter to the Times this morning which observes that the commanding officer of HMS Brilliant, having been awarded the DSO after action in the South Atlantic, announced to the ship's company, 'You win them and I'll wear them'.

He echoes Nelson, who, on the many occasions on which he was publicly praised for his heroism, replied, 'Any officer could have done what I did, having under him the gallant officers and brave seamen I had the honour and the happiness to command.'