Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Dane's View of Nelson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an interesting description of Nelson at Merton, written by a Dane, Mr Andersen, a writer, who visited Nelson at Merton. It appeared in 'A Genealogical History of the Nelson family,' a work privately published by Thomas Nelson in 1808:

On 20 August 1805, at Merton, in Surrey, I enjoyed the honour of an interview with the gallant Admiral, to whom some of my words had been sent. I was much charmed with the situation of Merton....Merton Place is not a large but a very elegant structure. In the balconies I observed a number of ladies, who I understand to be Lord Nelson's relations. Entering the house, I passed through a lobby which amongst a variety of paintings and other pieces of art, contained an excellent marble bust of the illustrious Admiral. Here I met the Rev Dr Nelson, the present Earl. I was ushered into a magnificent apartment where Lady Hamilton sat at a window. I at first scarcely observed his lordship, he having placed himself immediately at the entrance. The Admiral wore a uniform emblazoned with different orders of knighthood. He received me with the utmost condescension. Chairs being provided, he sat down between Lady Hamilton and myself, and having laid my account of the Battle of Copenhagen on his knee, a conversation ensued. His Lordship then conducted me upstairs and showed me a print of our Crown Prince. Descending from the drawing room Lord Nelson paused on the staircase, the walls of which were adorned with prints of his naval engagements. He pointed out to me the battle of Copenhagen.

Lord Nelson was in person of middle stature, a thin body and apparently delicate constitution. The lines of his face were hard, but the penetration of his eye threw a kind of light upon his countenance which tempered its severity and rendered his harsh features in some measure agreeable. His luxuriant hair flowed in graceful ringlets down his temples, and his aspect commanded the utmost veneration., especially when he looked upwards. Lord Nelson had not the least pride of rank, he combined with that degree of dignity, which a man of quality should have, the most engaging address in his air and appearance.'

NB Nelson became a subscriber to Mr Andersen's book and wrote an elegant acknowledgement, observing that, 'labour deserves reward, besides, authors are generally ill-paid.'

Post subject: Re: A Dane's View of Nelson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:25 pm 

Wow, thanks for posting! That was awesome to read! :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, it's always interesting to come across a completely new perception of Nelson - and this was completely new to me.

Incidentally, the word 'condescension' (and the adjective 'condescending') have changed their meaning somewhat since Nelson's day. Nowadays, to be condescending means something like 'patronising' but in Nelson's day, it had far more positive meaning, more like 'affable and courteous to one's inferiors'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:21 pm 

tycho wrote:
...and his aspect commanded the utmost veneration., especially when he looked upwards.

I like that little detail, and I can just imagine that kind of look.

The description makes me think very much of Hoppner's portrait (especially the oil sketch), and also of the Westminster Abbey waxwork.

It really is interesting because he seems to have been one of those people who was so multi-faceted that no two descriptions are the same.

And thanks for clarifying about the use of 'condescension' - it had confused me a little bit!

Profile E-mail