Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bonaparte’s invasion of Malta
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm 

Can anybody recommend a book that deals with Bonaparte’s invasion of Malta? I have tried various books about the Battle of the Nile and the invasion is mentioned in passing but has few details. Unfortunately it is the details I need.
Thanks in advance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bonaparte’s invasion of Malta
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm 

There is a section in Napoleon - The Path to Power 1769-99 by Philip Dwyer, but as to a book dedicated to the invasion solely, not seen it, but would like to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:52 pm 

Two comprehensive accounts that I have are:

Carmel Testa’s 895-page tome “The French in Malta, 1798-1800”. Only 1,000 signed and numbered copies were printed and published by Midsea Books of Valletta. I purchased my copy (No. 435) from Amazon some 18 months ago for around £80, arriving from a book depository in Russia, although I see it is currently unavailable.

William Hardiman’s 658-page “A History of Malta during the period of the French and British occupations 1798-1813”, is available on Amazon for around £68 although there is a digitised version for around £25.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:54 pm 

A big thank you for your replies,’ Napoleon - The Path to Power 1769-99’ by Philip Dwyer and’ A History of Malta during the period of the French and British occupations 1798-1813’ are on order (you have to love amazon) and I will certainly keep a lookout for ‘The French in Malta, 1798-1800’

I have to admit I am looking forward to visiting Malta in September :D

Thanks again,

Wolf359.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm 

I have a book which I actually bought in Malta in 1980 it is called Outlines of Maltese History from prehistoric to modern times by MGR S Laspina and there is a section on the French invasion which I found interesting to hear the Maltese side. The book was published in 1971 by AC Aquilina & Co Malta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm 

Thank you for your reply Tinapittock, I did see that book for sale in Malta while I was there last week, but I have to confess that I did not look at it as I was put off by the title. Just goes to show you that you should not judge a book by its cover! :oops:
Two books I did find in the local shops on this little known subject were Napoleon’s Maltese Legion by Richard Mifsud and The Fortifications of Malta 1530-1945 by Charles Stephenson. Both of which are packed with very useful information on the invasion itself and its bloody aftermath.

Wolf359

Profile E-mail