Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Whither N&HW?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Admin

As many members will know, I have become increasingly pre-occupied with caring for my husband whose health is now very precarious. This has become a full time job which means I can't devote the time required to keeping the website lively and interesting. Big forums gain a momentum of their own, but small ones like ours, with fewer members, do need someone to keep the momentum going by looking out for topics of interest or by posting interesting matters from personal reading.

I would be very sorry if my forced withdrawal caused N&HW to become a sad, moribund website with only occasional posts. I really think I would rather lock it than see that happen.

The question now is: can we find a small nucleus of members who would be willing to take over and ensure that regular posts are made, and to keep the website the friendly, welcoming and fun place that you have all helped to make it over the last few years? It need not be too formal an arrangement - just a serious commitment from a few members that they will make a special effort to be pro-active and keep us going. I know how busy so many of you are, particularly Tony, who has been a tower of strength in every way, and how difficult it might be for anyone to make a greater commitment. But I think it is worth a try.

Anybody up for joining the Rescue & Survival Committee? Please share your views. I've always tried to make the website a consultative enterprise, seeking opinions from members on various topics, so comments now would be very welcome.

I would, of course, continue to be responsible for the financial side of keeping the website viable.

Post subject: Re: Whither N&HW?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 pm 

I am sorry to hear things are not improving health wise. I understand where you are coming from as it is the drip of topics that keep people visiting and stop a forum becoming a mere reference point but as you say it requires a lot of time and effort to push these things forward. I don't have the time to carry such actions out though I could endeavour to report back researches more frequently.

Joss.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 am 

Anna,

Indeed, I am very sorry to hear of Ian's health problems, which must be a great strain on you.

I will do what I can to search out some more interesting topics of interest.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:54 pm 

Hello,

Anna, I am sorry to read that you feel you don't have time enough to "look after" Won. I can understand. Although I would like to help you, I feel my English is not good enough to do that. But I will try to think of more questions for the forum.

Best wishes,

Sylvia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 pm 

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband, it must be very difficult for you.

I know I'm a very new member, but I do love this forum and it has been very helpful for me. As I am still at the start of my voyage of discovery, I'm not sure how much I can contribute that anyone else will be interested in bar silly threads like "What if Nelson was alive now?", and my preoccupation with his journals! But I try :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:21 pm 

Anna, very best wishes to both you and Ian in the difficult time you are having.

I will certainly try to find the time to keep posting, and (as Anna already knows) will do my best to sort out technical and admin issues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:29 pm 

Anna,

I am very sorry to hear of your husband's misfortune. All I can do is to wish both of you all the luck you need for a speedy improvement of that sad situation.

It would be a terrible loss if the forum, of which you made such a homely place for all of us would be doomed to oblivion. I am not an IT nerd, but if my funny English is not too much of an embarassment for you and the English members, I will contribute to the forum's safe-keeping by increasing my posts on questions about obscure paintings, letters form Newfoundland and cut-off pigtails of certain huguenot or French Royal Navy officers.

But first things first: all the best wishes for you and your husband.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Many, many thanks to everyone for their support, both public and private. I am very grateful.

Life continues to be stressful both for Ian and for me but I take great heart from knowing that the Good Ship Nelson & His World will sail on with the crew in good heart (and no scurvy!)

I will look in from time to time as my situation permits.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:27 pm 

Anna,
I would like to add my sympathy for your situation and to thank you for putting so much into this board over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:03 pm 

Every good wish to you and yours, Anna, and I hope by posting as often as possible, it will help N&HW carry on.