Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Signal stations.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:34 pm 

I have been conducting a little research on an officer by the name of Monins Hollingbery. His career appears to have been progressing quite satisfactorily until his service as third lieutenant on Royal George at the time of its sinking. From my findings thus far, his subsequent career seems very fragmented. In fact as far as I know he never went to sea again. The only service records I have found for him; following the tragic events of 29 September 1782:

Impress service:
ILFRACOMBE 19th July 1790 – 24th Oct 1790
PEMBROKE 20th Dec 1793 – 30th Nov 1797

Signal station:
DUNSTANBERG CASTLE 8th Sept 1807

What type of officer was generally appointed to Signal stations?

I can remember reading in Gardner's recollections, that he was appointed to Fairlight signal station. Gardner told of a friend appealing to Earl St Vincent for a signal station on the grounds of ill health, and receiving the reply "That an officer of a signal station ought to have two good eyes, and damned good ones they ought to be"

My immediate thought was that Hollingbery may have sustained injury whilst escaping the Royal George. However, a couple of snippets concerning Hollingbery, taken from a book relating to the sinking (by R.P.Johnson), leaves me thinking there may be more to his story.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Signal stations.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:00 pm 

Gardner says in his Recollections
Quote:
I have heard many say that a signal station was an easy berth, and only fit for old and worn-out officers. This I flatly deny; and without fear of contradiction, can safely say that I suffered more from anxiety at this station than ever I did on board of a man of war.
Despite Gardner's protestations, my impression is that it was indeed a cushy number given to those with sufficient interest or connections who where unfit or unwilling for active service. Gardner's friend, who appealed to St Vincent, was unfit for active service, having suffered 'a paralytic stroke which affected his arm and one of his eyes'. St Vincent did indeed appoint him to a signal station despite his own comment about the need for two good eyes. Before Gardner's own appointment to the Fairlight signal station, he had been employed as an agent of transports, but had resigned on learning that his destination was the West Indies. He obtained his signal station appointment with the help of Lord Garlies, one of the Lords of the Admiralty.

Monins Hollingbery seems to have been made Superannuated Commander in 1810, before the end of the war, which also suggests to me perhaps both that he may have been unfit and also that he may have had influential connections, but I guess he was getting on a bit by then.

I imagine too, that he may have needed powerful connections to get any employment at all after the sinking of the Royal George!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 pm 

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=n ... 1;orient=0
- looks like a relative?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm 

Could possibly be a distant relative? Monins Hollingbery came from an ancient Dover family, members of his immediate family holding quite prominent positions:
Quote:
He belonged to a family prominent since Cromwellian times in the Cinque ports. They had been actively concerned in the financing and ownership of privateers. They had provided, in the 17th and 18th centuries, Mayors of Dover and Colonels of the local Train Bands, and in later years many noted clergymen.One of his brothers was Rector of Winchelsea and Canon and Chancellor of the Diocese of Chichester. Another John Drake Hollingbery, was (1780-1821) Prebendary of Rugmere in St Paul’s

Its possible branches of the family settled in India, thanks!

Hollingbery's age, likely physical condition and possible connections seem to explain his appointment to a signal station, would the same criteria count for Impress service? I assume these would be his only realistic opportunities of employment, if any disability prevented a return to sea. would these positions pay the same as that of a lieutenant at sea?

I was surprised to sea a signal station as far north as Dunstanburgh castle (Northumberland). I had always thought they only reached as far as the Yarmouth area. I would imagine that the location is pretty remote and not very inviting. Does anyone know where the furthest north a signal station was situated?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 pm 

It appears there were several coastal signal stations in Scotland, with perhaps the farthest north being at Leith, although I am not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 pm 

How far would the stations in Scotland have transmitted signals. Would they have covered the whole of the coastline, or just been isolated stations that sent signals to the nearest port/dockyard?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:14 pm 

Brian Lavery, in 'Nelson's Navy', says that a system of coast signal stations covering the UK was set up in 1795. The majority of them understandably were on the south and south east coasts, together with those I mentioned in Scotland, and there were a large number in Ireland.

Set up on prominent headlands, they were usually within visual (ie. telescope) distance of each other, so that signals could be passed from one to the other along the coast. They should not of course be confused with the shutter and semaphore stations which ran between the Admiralty and the various Dockyards, and they used a separate sytem of flags and balls for signalling. Although Lavery says that there was no uniform type of building, I have read that several of the stations in Scotland were prefabricated in Chatham Dockyard in 1798. Presumably they were then sent to Scotland by sea, and set up at the various designated places, and it seems that they sometimes shared facilities with the local coastguard.

Apparently the staff at a typical station consisted of a lieutenant, a midshipman, and two seamen. The lieutenant was payed 7s 6d per day on top of his half pay, the midshipman 2s and 'the pay of a fourth rate', and the seamen 2s. It seems as though the employment of a lieutenant was later discontinued. A couple of dragoons were also attached to each station, in order to liase with the local militia if required.