Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson letter for sale
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

This letter from Nelson to 'My dear lady' is to be sold by Bonham's on 13th November. If it is authentic - and it has all the appearance of being so - then to what can it refer? The letter is undated, but my first thought was that it must have something to do with Nelson's jealousy regarding the Prince Regent's apparent interest in Emma. However, the affair was very well established by this time, when Nelson usually addressed her as 'My dearest, beloved Emma.' He was always more circumspect if he feared a letter might be opened in the post - but this rough note, clearly written in haste, would most probably been delivered by the hand of a trusted servant, so no reserve would have been necessary. Any thoughts?

http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_s ... JQ6isUxp5I

Post subject: Re: Nelson letter for sale
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:14 am 

What a fascinating little note!

The footnotes included on the auctioneer's (Bonhams) website confirm that Nelson began signing himself in the English Peer style - 'Nelson' - after 20 November 1800 when it became clear that the signature he was then using - 'Bronte Nelson of the Nile' - was improper.

That would place this particular note between 20 Nov 1800 and 9 Jan 1801.

But I'm not sure I agree with the rest of the auctioneer's analysis:

http://tinyurl.com/boknur6

The first scenario that immediately chimed was one covered by John Watkins (The Memoirs of Lady Hamilton), Andrew Snape Hamond (Farington Diaries) and Cornelia Knight in her journal.

The incident the note refers to is similar, though not exact, in all these accounts:

Quote:
Hamond: In this fainting state, which was supposed to be assumed because Lady Nelson by whom she [Emma] sat had not noticed Her sufficiently, she was carried into another room. Lord Nelson expected Lady Nelson wd. have attended Her & was so much offended at Her not doing it that He formed a resolution to leave Her.

Watkins (a much longer, more detailed and unpleasant account) relates a Duchess ignoring Lady H despite Nelson's attempts to bring her forward as his 'particular friend.' The upshot is that Lady Nelson fails to join in the general opprobrium when the Duchess leaves and ends up being blamed:

Quote:
'... he harshly demanded of his wife where Lady Hamilton was, and who was with her... on which his Lordship flew into a violent passion, and insisted that she should instantly go and wait upon Lady Hamilton herself... his Lordship became more furious, and directly charged his gentle partner with being the cause of the distressing state in which he found his favourite...'

Cornelia Knight, more general - and purposely inaccurate on occasions - wrote:

Quote:
…So much was said about the attachment of Lord Nelson to Lady Hamlilton, that it made the matter still worse. He felt irritated, and took it up in an unfortunate manner by devoting himself more and more to her, for the purpose of what he called supporting her. Mischief was made on all sides…

At a push, I'd date the 'cataclysmic supper' to Saturday 22 November 1800, and Nelson's note to Sunday 23rd. Emma must have 'sent for' Nelson quickly, as they were at Pizzaro (the scene of another well recorded incident) on the 24th.

Of course the note could refer to another event entirely - much took place at the time that remains unknown even 200+ years later. But at this period Emma was certainly at her wits end because of Nelson's escalating public faux pas - his chivalry and sense of responsibility drew more attention to their situation than anyone involved was comfortable with. Interestingly, Hamond relates that Sir William blamed his wife for the ruckus - but then he didn't know the full facts of Emma's indisposition. Watkins - in the retelling - did.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:08 pm 

Can someone please help me with one word in the letter that I can't interpret.

i.e. the one outlined in red below.

I'm sure I'll feel a right "twit" when you tell me . . . . . . . :)

Attachments:
nelsonletter.jpg
nelsonletter.jpg [ 24.21 KiB | Viewed 16303 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Mark:

I think the word is 'sit': 'never will I sit tamely and see you, my dear friend, neglected....'

Jacqui:

Many thanks for the link to the Bonham site and your penetrating commentary. I received the initial link from a friend and posted it in great haste with only superficial reflection. Your deductions are, as usual, spot on!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 pm 

Thanks Anna.

It would have helped if I hadn't interpreted the word following as family INSTEAD OF tamely.

Oh dear - no wonder I was struggling!

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 pm 

It's intriguing, isn't it? I love how in so many of Nelson's letters, like this one, he would so vigorously express his feelings. I assume this one has never been published? I hope it goes to a museum or other public collection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 pm 

Here is the link to the entry in Bonham's catalogue - which has a bit more info.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20139/l ... 8%26m1%3D1

It mentions that it was sold at auction in 1959.

But I wonder where it has been for all of those 210+ years.

I find these things intriguing.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

I hope someone will keep an eye on the hammer price. Any bets in advance?

Vicki - I do agree that Nelson's authentic voice comes through so vividly in his personal letters. So many 18th century letters have a 'pre-fabricated' feel about them - hackneyed phrases bolted together like Meccano pieces. Nelson does this too in formal circumstances, but when his emotions were deeply engaged, his language was always forthright, vivid and colloquial.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Here's a link to the Eastern Daily Press - Norfolk's local rag, so always a good place to look for Nelson-related news.

It answers your question about provenance, Mark, though not in any detail, (keep scrolling down!) and gives an estimated hammer price of £8000.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/letter_give ... _1_1680393

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 am 

Anna

I don't think it answers the provenance issue - unless I am missing something!

i.e. if it was in Emma's possession and purloined along with all her other letters from Nelson why did it not appear in the 1814 "Letters from Lord Nelson to Lady Hamilton" books?

I am not doubting that it is genuine - just wondering whether it somehow got separated from Emma's other letters from Nelson and who had it between say 1814/15 and 1959 when it appeared at auction.

Sorry - just the way my mind works!! :)

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Admin

The provenance, I agree, is thin; but if we knew the name of the family in whose possession it has been 'for a very long time', we might have a clue. There's no doubt it's genuine - and many who came into contact with Nelson, however briefly or tangentially, longed for a token. This could have been obtained in a dozen ways - purloined and treasured by a servant, or maybe a printer's assistant, who knows? Its authenticity is pretty convincing - that's the important thing.

Possessions such as watches etc are much more dodgy without provenance. there was a huge market in Nelson memorabilia, and, as we know, many fakes sold as a consequence. There's some interesting correspondence in the archive at the Monmouth Museum from dealers anxious to flog off Nelson treasures like silver, or even spare glass eyes to lady Llangattock. She rejected many but bought a few turkeys too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Admin

The provenance, I agree, is thin; but if we knew the name of the family in whose possession it has been 'for a very long time', we might have a clue. There's no doubt it's genuine - and many who came into contact with Nelson, however briefly or tangentially, longed for a token. This could have been obtained in a dozen ways - purloined and treasured by a servant, or maybe a printer's assistant, who knows? Its authenticity is pretty convincing - that's the important thing.

Possessions such as watches etc are much more dodgy without provenance. there was a huge market in Nelson memorabilia, and, as we know, many fakes sold as a consequence. There's some interesting correspondence in the archive at the Monmouth Museum from dealers anxious to flog off Nelson treasures like silver, or even spare glass eyes to lady Llangattock. She rejected many but bought a few turkeys too!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

A slight digression: Vicki referred above to the vigour of Nelson's letters. In a bookshop yesterday, I glanced briefly at a book on the career of the ill-fated Colonel Despard who appealed to Nelson to intercede for him when he was sentenced to the grisly death of hanging, drawing and quartering. Nelson immediately responded with a plea so heartfelt and moving that the Prime Minister, Addington, reported that he and his family had 'sat weeping over it' after dinner. But Colonel Despard was executed all the same. I find it surprising that such a committed patriot as Nelson was prepared to defend a convicted traitor. But he also felt strongly the ties of friendship and comradeship. The letter must exist somewhere but alas, I have no time for research.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:41 pm 

Anna,

Patriot he might have been but I think his capacity for making friends, and retaining that friendship for long afterwards, went much deeper.

At Despard's trial Nelson's words were about the man he had known, and who he had lived in close proximity with throughout what must have been the hell of the San Juan expedition, rather than about the man he had become since. I don't think men who have come through such an experience together ever forget it, and it creates a bond. It is perhaps difficult for others to understand who haven't had that experience. Thus I don't find it that surprising.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Well! This little treasure made £20,000!

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20139/lot/125/