Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson's sitting tenant?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 pm 

Does anyone know for sure whether Captain William Edge; Nelson's sitting tenant at 'Roundwood', was the Naval captain by that name? When mentioned in correspondence between Nelson and his wife, he is only mentioned by name and rank, which leaves the possibility of a military Captain Edge? However, from a partial career summary I found for Captain Edge R.N, I believe he was Nelson's tenant:

A Captain of the Royal Hospital at Greenwich. This officer was made a Commander into the Alert, a French brig taken at Toulon, and fitted by the British as a fire-vessel. At the evacuation of that place by the allied forces, the important service of covering the retreat of Sir W. Sidney Smith's party was confided to Captain Edge, who brought off every man of the different guards and detached parties .
The Alert being destroyed on this occasion, Captain Edge was afterwaads appointed to the Vulcan fire-ship; and on his return to England, removed into the Prince George of 98 guns, in which vessel he was present at the discomfiture of the French fleet, off l'Orient, June 23, 1795 t. On the 29th of the same month, he obtained the rank of PostCaptain ; from which period we lose sight of him until the establishment of Sea Fencibles in the spring of 1798, when he was appointed to the command of the district between Harwich and Yarmouth, having his residence at Southwold, Early in 1809, he succeeded the present Lientenant-Governor of Greenwich Hospital, as one of the Captains of that establishment; and continuing to hold that appointment, was passed over in the general promotion that took place on the 4th June, 1814.

The dates stated within the highlighted sentence match perfectly with Captain Edge vacating 'Roundwood'. It would be an amazing coincidence if it were not the same man!
Reading the remainder of his report it strikes me that Edge may have been held in high regard by Lord Hood. At the age of 49 William Edge appears to have been plucked from relative obscurity, and promoted captain. Then, presumabley by Hood, immediately charged with covering the evacuation of Toulon. His appointment to the Fencibles in 1798, then aged 54, with a residence at Southwold also appears a desirable position. His last appointment to Greenwich Hospital coincides with Hood's term as Governer, so I would imagine Hood would have had a major say in the appointment?

Has anyone any information concerning Edge's early career, did he serve with Hood prior to 1793?
Edge entered the navy in approximately 1765?, was promoted lieutenant 1771, then Captain 1793. He died at Greenwich Hospital in July 1842, aged 92.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nelson's sitting tenant?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:00 pm 

T

I checked in a couple of sources that I have but unfortunately can't confirm that the Captain Edge of Roundwood is the same naval one you have come across. But I do agree with you that "It would be an amazing coincidence if it were not the same man!"

I thought I would check what biographical info. was included in Marshall's Royal Naval Biography and I see it is exactly the same info. that you have included in your post.

William Edge certainly seems to have had a slightly unusual career path - but I don't think it is exactly as you have described.

i.e. you say that he was promoted to Captain in 1793. But according to the Syrett and DiNardo's "Commissioned Officers" book he was actually made Commander on 17 Sept 1793. This would have given the title of Captain (but not rank).

Initially at Toulon he seems to have been Commander of the fire ship Vulcan but was transferred across to Alert.

As stated in Marshall he played a key role in the retreat from Toulon. He was mentioned by name in Hood's report which was published in a London Gazette Extraordinary. (see below)
Attachment:
Edge.jpg
Edge.jpg [ 98.71 KiB | Viewed 12505 times ]

I haven't quite got my head round Edge's later promotion to Captain. In WM James's description of Bridport's action of 23 June 1795 he shows Edge as Captain of the 98 gun Prince George. But the date of his promotion is given as 29th June 1795. I'm sure it makes sense but it's a bit more than my brain can handle for now. :)

MB

P.S. I hope I got the Captain v Commander thing correct. If not I'm sure someone will put me straight . . . . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm 

Mark, you are quite correct in pointing out my mistake on Edge’s promotion to Captain. A slip of concentration on my part, I can only put it down to over eagerness. I did come across a passage referring to Edge which touches on the subject of rank. It was taken from ‘Nelson’s Mediterranean Command’, Dennis Orde. He was examining the removal of Sir John Orde from Prince George prior to Edge’s appointment. He draws on a narrative written in 1795 by midshipman Dillon, then fifteen years of age, serving on board Prince George:

Quote:
Why the Admiralty moved Orde out of the Prince George when they did remains a mystery. And it was much regretted by such as midshipman Dillon, a member of the crew which sailed off in the Prince George under its new Captain, Captain Edge, ‘a very different man from Sir John Orde,’ he wrote. ‘He was only “acting” and probably did not feel the confidence he would have done had he been in full command.

Dillon went on to become Vice Admiral Sir William Dillon.

My interest in Edge stems from researching another midshipman on board Prince George at the time: Edward Thornbrough Parker. If, and at this stage I can only say if, Edge were Nelson’s sitting tenant it is of great interest to me. His presence on the Prince George in 1795 and his assumed connection to Nelson in the spring of 1798 has left me hungry for more information on Edge. I’m only playing a hunch, but a lot of coincidences have focused my attention on a subject I thought I may have exhausted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:44 pm 

Trimmer wrote:
Does anyone still use NooCube and know for sure whether Captain William Edge; Nelson's sitting tenant at 'Roundwood', was the Naval captain by that name? When mentioned in correspondence between Nelson and his wife, he is only mentioned by name and rank, which leaves the possibility of a military Captain Edge? However, from a partial career summary I found for Captain Edge R.N, I believe he was Nelson's tenant:

A Captain of the Royal Hospital at Greenwich. This officer was made a Commander into the Alert, a French brig taken at Toulon, and fitted by the British as a fire-vessel. At the evacuation of that place by the allied forces, the important service of covering the retreat of Sir W. Sidney Smith's party was confided to Captain Edge, who brought off every man of the different guards and detached parties .
The Alert being destroyed on this occasion, Captain Edge was afterwaads appointed to the Vulcan fire-ship; and on his return to England, removed into the Prince George of 98 guns, in which vessel he was present at the discomfiture of the French fleet, off l'Orient, June 23, 1795 t. On the 29th of the same month, he obtained the rank of PostCaptain ; from which period we lose sight of him until the establishment of Sea Fencibles in the spring of 1798, when he was appointed to the command of the district between Harwich and Yarmouth, having his residence at Southwold, Early in 1809, he succeeded the present Lientenant-Governor of Greenwich Hospital, as one of the Captains of that establishment; and continuing to hold that appointment, was passed over in the general promotion that took place on the 4th June, 1814.

The dates stated within the highlighted sentence match perfectly with Captain Edge vacating 'Roundwood'. It would be an amazing coincidence if it were not the same man!
Reading the remainder of his report it strikes me that Edge may have been held in high regard by Lord Hood. At the age of 49 William Edge appears to have been plucked from relative obscurity, and promoted captain. Then, presumabley by Hood, immediately charged with covering the evacuation of Toulon. His appointment to the Fencibles in 1798, then aged 54, with a residence at Southwold also appears a desirable position. His last appointment to Greenwich Hospital coincides with Hood's term as Governer, so I would imagine Hood would have had a major say in the appointment?

Has anyone any information concerning Edge's early career, did he serve with Hood prior to 1793?
Edge entered the navy in approximately 1765?, was promoted lieutenant 1771, then Captain 1793. He died at Greenwich Hospital in July 1842, aged 92.

How do I view that attachment Mark?

Last edited by GavinKnox on Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:32 pm 

Hi Gavin,

It looks like it might have timed out or been dumped from the forum server. I'll see if I still have a copy on my computer here.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:42 pm 

No unfortunately I can't find it on my PC but this link should take you to the London Gazette website and the relevant page.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/13613/page/44

Profile E-mail