Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spanish Chivalry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Admin

The Times regularly prints letters from its archive on an anniversary of the original publication. The one quoted below, dated 24th December 1808, appears today. I am not knowledgeable about the Peninsular Wars, but suppose this letter refers to concern in Britain about the sufferings of the Spanish people when France turned on her old ally in 1808.

Sir,

Your patriotic correspondent has placed in a very proper point of view the claims which the illustrious Spanish nation has upon British generosity. Permit me also to recall to his, and to your readers' recollection, the human, and truly hospitable manner in which they received under their protection a very considerable number of British Officers and seamne wounded in the memorable battle of Trafalgar.

In a moment of great national calamity, when their feelings must necessarily have been worked up to the highest pitch of resentment, did the characteristic elevation of mind, and high sense of honour of the Spaniards afford an asylum to a people who had just out the finishing touches to all their ancient maritime grandeur.

As enemies, so generous, what further appeal in their behalf can be necessary to the feelings of Britons, that a knowledge of the necessities of such a people, now happily and closely united to us by the ties of sincere friendship and common interest?

LONDINENSIS

Post subject: Re: Spanish Chivalry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:20 pm 

Anna

I believe that even immediately after Trafalgar relations between Britain and Spain were very good.

As stated here prisoners on both sides were treated very well.

And then there was an exchange of prisoners - but at the same time Napoleon refused any exchange of British and French prisoners.

It has sometimes seemed to me that the Spanish were reluctant combatants at Trafalgar.

I seem to recall that Spanish officers who were at Trafalgar were honoured rather than chastised.

I hope I'm roughly correct on that - if not I am sure someone will put me straight!

MB

Profile E-mail