Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Silvan'?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 am 

This is probably a really daft question but... I just read a letter Nelson wrote to Captain Locker in 1779 where he wrote, "I am much obliged to you for taking care of Silvan: do as you please with him; I don't think he will ever stay with me now."

Who was Silvan, a pet of some kind? :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 'Silvan'?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 am 

I do not know though Silvan was a 'known' (i.e not weird) forename in the period so it may be a person.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 pm 

Vicki,

I can find no definite reference for this, but I imagine Silvan to have been a servant of some sort, rather than a pet. His words, 'do as you please with him', might sound a little harsh to us today, but I'm sure he didn't mean them to be in an age when having a servant was quite normal, even for quite junior officers.

This seems to have been just before, or soon after, Nelson took over command of the Hinchinbroke, so I would imagine he didn't think Silvan would have made a good sailor.

There is the possibility I may be wrong of course. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 pm 

Oh! I hadn't considered it to be a name of a person. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:49 pm 

Starhawk wrote:
Oh! I hadn't considered it to be a name of a person. :oops:

Vicki,

Not to worry – it may well be me who is embarrassed, if someone proves me wrong with more substantial information. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 pm 

Vicki,
I have just read an interesting passage in John Sugden's 'A Dream of Glory'. On page 134 he explains how William Locker supplied Nelson two petty officers from his ship Lowestoffe.
It then continues:
The command of a ship, even one as inconsiderable as the Badger, conferred elements of patronage. Nelson had the right to take four captain's servants on board, but so far from home he had no relatives to slot into the vacant positions. Nelson picked out four likely ratings for the honour - William Sylvan, Frank Lepee, William Orswood and John Smith.

I would guess from this that William Sylvan had been recommended to Nelson by Locker, and that for whatever reason the arrangement had not worked out. Hence the mention in his later letter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:43 am 

Wow - well spotted!! :D

I had already thought that this might be a nigh on impossible query to resolve - but I should never underestimate the sleuths on this forum!!

Armed with the different spelling I checked him to the Commissioned Officers records/O'Byrne etc. but unfortunately no sign there.

I always get intrigued about these characters who are on the fringes of the Nelson story. I wish that we could check him out to the muster books - see what little bits & pieces we could glean from there . . . . . . . . .!!

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:36 am 

Ok, I'm officially embarrassed now, but for another reason – I read that same passage not so long ago! It was also a different ship and William Sylvan was obviously quite used to the seafaring life. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 pm 

Oh yes that makes sense, thankyou! "Do as you please with him" just sounded a little impersonal, but I do forget that Nelson had servants. It sounds like he wasn't particularly happy with him, though.

Quote:
I always get intrigued about these characters who are on the fringes of the Nelson story.

Me too!

I may make this a regular feature - find an obscure reference and challenge you all to find the answer :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm 

Devenish wrote:
Ok, I'm officially embarrassed now, but for another reason – I read that same passage not so long ago! It was also a different ship and William Sylvan was obviously quite used to the seafaring life. :oops:

Well your guess was at least just a little closer than mine! :P

Profile E-mail