Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: St Pauls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 am 

I would just like to thank the young lady at St Pauls who recently helped me , I was on a very short trip to london and on the tube ,when i noticed the next stop was St Pauls I thought go and have a look at the great mans resting place ,as I entered the cathedral I asked a young lady in an embossed St Pauls jacket if the cyrpt was open (it was sunday) she said sadly no but i could glance down from the cafe there ,she showed me the way down ,but to my surprise went over to the security guard and promptly took me in and sraight over to his tomb and gave me a few minutes on my own there , just like to say thanks who ever you were

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: St Pauls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm 

How great when somebody goes "beyond the call of duty" like that!

I think I may have posted a while back an experience I had in Westminster Abbey. i.e. I was in the Lady Chapel and I asked one of the guides which was Lord Nelson's seat. He led me over and showed me and then unhooked one of the ropes and said "You can go and try it out if you like!"

It sounds ridiculous in the cold light of day but it so caught me off guard that I actually declined his offer.

I imagine I blew a once in a lifetime opportunity but how great to have been given the chance!

And not on the same level as yours - but I too, had a nice experience in St Paul's. I asked a person behind one of the counters if I could borrow a pen to write down some information (i.e. all the battles that are recorded on Wellington's memorial in the main body of the Cathedral.) He had a real rummage around and eventually found one that was spare.

When I took it back he said in a really friendly way how honest I was.

So 10 out of 10 for both Westminster abbey AND St Paul's from me!! :D :D

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 am 

Yes i have to say restored a little faith in human nature ,wish id of caught her name and emailed them to thank her again

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 pm 

It has probably escaped nobody's attention that today is the anniversary of Nelson's funeral in the Cathedral, on January 9th, 1806.

I will try and listen to the CD that was made of the service, by the choir of Portsmouth Cathedral, I think in 1999. It is more or less faithful to the original service, which was based on that of evensong, although some of the content was omitted so that it could be recorded on a single CD. I found it very atmospheric, almost as if one were there at the time – particularly when, for example, the prayers are to the Royal Family of George lll. Best listened to with headphones, and in a darkened room (I believe Mark already has his set up!) As a bonus, there is a very good introduction to the funeral contained in the booklet by the late Colin White, who also reads the first lesson and proclaims Nelson's titles. If anyone hasn't already heard this already, the CD is still available.

Zulupaul, Mark,

You're obviously better looking than me, as I didn't have the same reception when I was there a few years ago – the man at the desk wouldn't let me in! Does anyone know when the gates were put up, and why? I think they are a reasonably recent addition, as I don't remember them from years ago. I also believe it is a great shame that the public are often prevented from seeing what is probably the most important tomb in the Cathedral – I'm sure Nelson wouldn't have approved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm 

totally agree Mark and I are better looking ,where is this dvd found pray tell ,paul

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:21 pm 

Paul,

Thanks for that. :?

I found this considered appraisal of the CD, from someone obviously more knowledgeable but who is a little critical of the recording, although not adversely so, and he does make some good points. He thinks it a worthwhile buy. You'll see there's a link to Amazon, where the price is just over £9:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... PCD232.htm

I did listen to it in it's entirety this afternoon and, as the critic suggests, it is better to do this to get the feel of the service and occasion. It runs for just over an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 pm 

How lovely :) I visited on this day last year and got there early in the morning, just as the doors opened, so I was on my own with his Lordship for a short while (well, him and all the other people laying at rest there!). It's very atmospheric and emotional, I found. Were it not for the tourists that began wandering around a bit later, I could have stayed there all morning.

I must admit though, I find it a little uncomfortable that the cafe and gift shop are within sight of the tomb! It removes something from the gravitas of it, somehow.

Kester, thanks for the link to the CD, I must get that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm 

My experience of St Paul's and Westminster Abbey has always been great! Up until two years ago me and some friends always used to mark 9th January by walking the route of Nelson's funeral. Our day always finished with prayers at his tomb, the staff at St Paul's were always brilliant!
The first year we done the walk, prior to setting off, we squeezed in a visit to Westminster Abbey. Surprisingly, some members of the group (myself included) had never seen Nelson's effigy - It was a great way to start the day. Our appointed guide soon became aware of our almost sole interest in Nelson. To our amazement we were taken to 'the Lady Chapel', where like Mark, we were offered to sit in Nelson's seat. Sorry Mark! I couldn't show your level of restraint and had to try it for size. It is a memory I shall always cherish!
I have been surprised by the amount of texts and e-mails I have received this week, asking if we were planning the walk this year? It would be nice to do it again next year, the interest has pushed a button. I might go full throttle and include the river procession, which as a group we have never done before.
Open invitation to anyone interested!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm 

Trimmer wrote:
It would be nice to do it again next year, the interest has pushed a button. I might go full throttle and include the river procession, which as a group we have never done before.
Open invitation to anyone interested!

I'd be very interested :D

I hadn't thought to do that walk this year. May do it tomorrow after work.

I wish I'd known about Nelson's seat when I went to Westminster Abbey last year! I'll have to go again soon and ask to see it/sit in it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 pm 

Vicki,
It would be great if you could join us next January!!
I will post details for you, and anyone else interested, via this thread as and when plans are finalised.

Profile E-mail