Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Richard lll
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 pm 

I am sure many of us have been following with interest the unfolding saga of the archaeological dig in a certain car park in Leicester and, yesterday, the formal identification of the bones that were found as being those of Richard lll.

Nothing much to do with WON or Nelson of course, except perhaps the tenuous connection through Shakespeare and His Lordship's familiarity with the bard's plays. I am sure Nelson very likely read Richard lll, although I don't remember him using any quotes from that particular play (Henry V was his favourite), but I wonder what he would have thought of the recent revelations, were he alive today. Being a forward thinking man I'm sure he would have been intrigued.

Incidentally, I watched the live press conference yesterday – which the University of Leicester say will be put on Utube in a few days time, for those who haven't seen it. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Richard lll
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 pm 

I am beyond thrilled and wish I were there when they found him !!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

I too watched the revelations with interest and, as the programme progressed, imagined how I would have felt if Nelson had been similarly lost in battle and attempts were being made to prove that newly discovered remains were his.

I thought the reconstruction of the face was fascinating; though I'm not sure how conclusively accurate such representations are.

Nelson's appearance varies widely in the many portraits of him; but I think the most truthful must be the life mask made in Vienna as this followed the contours of his face without an artist's subjective interpretation.

It will be interesting to see what happens about the funeral. Richard was a pre-Reformation Catholic but will probably be re-interred in Leicester Cathedral which is Anglican - though I see York Minster has petitioned the Queen to allow burial there. Perhaps a happy compromise would be to copy the burial of the sailor from the Mary Rose - also pre-Reformation. He was interred in a ceremony of great beauty and dignity in the Anglican Portsmouth Cathedral, but with the Catholic rites that would have prevailed in his day.

There is a complication, however. Since Richard has been buried once, he cannot, apparently, have a formal funeral service but a re-interment. I don't know if there is a rite for this or if one will have to be made up. But we Brits are quite good at instant ceremony so I am sure it will be dignified and fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am 

tycho wrote:
I thought the reconstruction of the face was fascinating; though I'm not sure how conclusively accurate such representations are.

It will be interesting to see what happens about the funeral. Richard was a pre-Reformation Catholic but will probably be re-interred in Leicester Cathedral which is Anglican - though I see York Minster has petitioned the Queen to allow burial there. Perhaps a happy compromise would be to copy the burial of the sailor from the Mary Rose - also pre-Reformation. He was interred in a ceremony of great beauty and dignity in the Anglican Portsmouth Cathedral, but with the Catholic rites that would have prevailed in his day.

There is a complication, however. Since Richard has been buried once, he cannot, apparently, have a formal funeral service but a re-interment. I don't know if there is a rite for this or if one will have to be made up. But we Brits are quite good at instant ceremony so I am sure it will be dignified and fitting.

Of course we can never be completely sure that facial reconstructions are accurate, but I think they are as near as it is possible to get at the present time, and the techniques are probably being modified all the time. I think the head of Richard is well done and shows a sensative and thoughtful man, not one of a tyrant or dictator. This fits with what is known of his character. Philippa Langley of the Richard lll Society said, I believe, that it wasn't the face of a murderer – although does a murderer have a certain look? However, I like to think she's right.

As to your other points regarding the reburial, etc., the Bishop of Leicester touched on all these in a video clip recently, so I am sure they will all be taken into consideration. There seems to be something of a battle going on (as to who should get Richard's remains) between Leicester and York – so even now the poor man is not free of conflict! I think Leicester will get their way, although I believe Richard himself wanted to be buried in York.

At the moment we are watching the 'trial by television' of Richard lll, made in 1984 (although I hadn't seen it before). Forgetting the '80's clothes, hair styles, and large glasses, it really is quite rivetting. At around three hours long however, you probably need to take it in sittings which, it being on DVD, you can safely do! I don't know whether it was actually filmed at the Old Bailey, but it was certainly a proper courtroom, with a real judge, prosecuting and defence counsel and a jury. As you would expect, the witnesses were also experts in their field one of whom, although a rather well-known historian, didn't in my opinion, shine. I already know the outcome of the 'trial', but it will be interesting to see how the jury reached their verdict.

The DVD by the way came as a two disc set, the other disc being the film with Laurence Olivier – surely the most villainous Richard lll ever portrayed on film? Unfortunately, it would appear that it is largely this portrayal (aided by Shakespeare) that has coloured the view of many.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 pm 

It's very exciting! It's amazing what they can do with technology nowadays, to be able to identify someone who died hundreds of years ago. The fact that they have traced living descendants, and compared DNA, is phenomenal. I've just read the story of the dig on the Richard III Society's website, the way they found him is incredible. I like the facial reconstruction, too, I think it looks quite like his portrait, but softer.

tycho wrote:
I too watched the revelations with interest and, as the programme progressed, imagined how I would have felt if Nelson had been similarly lost in battle and attempts were being made to prove that newly discovered remains were his.
Nelson's appearance varies widely in the many portraits of him; but I think the most truthful must be the life mask made in Vienna as this followed the contours of his face without an artist's subjective interpretation.

When you put it like that, I feel quite glad that we know exactly where Nelson is! The Richard III Society must be besides themselves with excitement. You can tell that Philippa Langley feels a strong connection with Richard III, and I guess many of us can identify with that.

As an aside, on the facial reconstruction subject... One of the things I most like about Nelson, and find most intriguing, is the fact that each portrait, waxwork, statue and bust seems to show not just a different appearance, but a different side to his character. Did I read somewhere that there was an artist who didn't want to paint him because his expression was too changeable, and he didn't feel he could do him justice? Or did I just make that up?

Kester, that DVD sounds interesting, I'm going to have a look for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm 

It's all complete and utter nonsense. It is ridiculous to suggest that Richard III had curvature of the spine. Obviously somebody planted the skeleton under the car park with the sole intention of discrediting the Richard III Society. ;)

(With grateful acknowledgement to naval historian J D Davies http://gentlemenandtarpaulins.com/2013/ ... andwagons/ )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 am 

Tony wrote:
It's all complete and utter nonsense. It is ridiculous to suggest that Richard III had curvature of the spine.

Tony,

True, it is all complete and utter nonsense. He didn't have curvature of the spine, he had scoliosis. Curvature of the spine is a modern affliction, caused by too much bending over a computer – as I am doing right now. :wink:

Thanks for the link(s), very amusing. Is there no end to these 'car park' jokes? :D

Starhawk wrote:
Did I read somewhere that there was an artist who didn't want to paint him because his expression was too changeable, and he didn't feel he could do him justice? Or did I just make that up?

Kester, that DVD sounds interesting, I'm going to have a look for it.

Vicki,

No, I think you're right. I believe one of the artists did say that and I'm sure I have read it somewhere, but I just can't remember who it was. :?

As to the double DVD, it's called 'Richard lll – Special Edition', which I bought from Amazon for around just under £9.
I looked for it again, but it seems to have disappeared. Perhaps, for some reason or another, they've sold out! Keep looking though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:22 pm 

I hate all the politics. Wherever he is buried will become a tourist attraction hence the sudden shouts for York (I am surprised Bosworth field has not put in a claim as that is where he 'fell')

Personally I think he was buried in Leicester after the battle which undoubtedly prevented his remains being destroyed by the Tudors so Leicester should keep him.

One of the cheap and cheerful papers put up a reconstruction of him alongside Lord Faruqar of Shrek.

Joss.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:00 pm 

Joss,

I agree, but there is always some controversy – and especially when the subject is of this importance. I too think Leicester should have him, the city is after all where he has been buried all these years in the remains of the Greyfriars, albeit under a modern car park (there's probably another joke in there, but I'll leave it alone.) Leicester Cathedral I gather is not so far away, so it seems fitting.

York has many attractions but I don't know of many in Leicester, or actually any, since I have not been there. Perhaps the University may now count as one!

The full press conference is now up on the University's website and I watched it again, this time with my wife who has some interest. I noticed however that the final part, in which one of the staff from the Cathedral talked about the various scenarios for the re-interrment, as I think it should properly be called, had been cut. Presumably, with this spat between them and York, they didn't think it appropriate to keep it in!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 pm 

Sorry to disappoint, but there is no spat. York Minster have said publicly that he should be buried at Leicester: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-21373538

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:08 pm 

Tony,

Thanks for the link, I must have missed that. It's good to hear there's no animosity – at least between the Cathedrals!