Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Artist who wouldn't paint Nelson
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:03 pm 

I mentioned in another thread about a vague recollection of reading that there was an artist who refused to paint Nelson. I'm not sure if it's the quote I was thinking of but, after scouring several books, I at last found this in Ludovic Kennedy's Nelson and his Captains (and, rather than de-rail that other thread further, thought I'd better make a new one for it!):

Quote:
On one occasion Ball, Hood and Lieutenant Layman (who had fought at Copenhagen in the Isis) stayed at Merton together. After tea Nelson was engaged with Hood in a heated discussion over some small matter, and Layman remarked to Ball what an extraordinary character he was, little in little things, but by far the greatest man in great things he ever saw. Ball agreed and told Layman why the portrait promised to his Nile captains had never been painted. When the squadron arrived at Naples an artist was commissioned for the work and invited the captains to breakfast. Some time afterwards the captains observed that the artist had not begun, and deputed Ball to ask when he intended to. 'Never,' replied the artist. 'There is such a mixture of humility and ambition in Lord Nelson's countenance that I dare not risk the attempt.'

Which begs the question - did the Egyptian Club ever get their portrait?

Profile E-mail