Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ghosts and Hauntings
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Apologies for my long absence from the site: domestic responsibilities continue demanding. I get little time to read much but dip into old favourites from time to time. Here is a snippet from the Recollections of James Anthony Gardner: Commander R.N. who has appeared in these pages before:

"After poor Sturges [midshipman acting as mate] was killed it was given out that he was often seen in the tier, and sometimes in the cockpit. This had such an effect that not one of the midshipmen would stay below by himself. I remember one of them (Sm Simmonds) falling asleep on the table in the starboard wing berth; and the rest going on deck, he was left alone. When he awoke, he took to his heels and ran up to the gunroom, where he fainted away and remained so a long time. When he came to, he declared that he saw poor Sturges standing in the berth as pale as death and looking steadfastly at him. This story worked so much upon the minds of the others that they took good care to have company at all times when left below."

Sailors are reputedly notoriously superstitious. Long, lonely watches in the dark hours can play tricks on the mind. (Nurses on prolonged night duty often 'see things.') Are there any other records of ghosts and hauntings at sea?