Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Book from Roy & Lesley Adkins
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

It is my custom to post news of books or articles published by forum members. Roy and Lesley Adkins, respected historians who have made valued contributions to the site, have a new book out: 'Eavesdropping on Jane Austen's England'. Our forum is dedicated to Nelson and his world, so this opportunity to hear voices from Georgian and regency England promises to be full of treats!

Newer forum members can read my review of the Adkins's wonderful 'Jack Tar' on page 2 of the 'Book Reports' thread on the Information Forum.

Post subject: Re: New Book from Roy & Lesley Adkins
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:11 pm 

Anna,

Apologies that I haven't been active on the site for a while, although I have looked in occasionally. Perhaps there's nothing Nelsonian going on at the moment.

Are you sure you've given the correct link to the book, as it goes straight to my gmail account and wants me to log in? The book sounds interesting.

I hope all is well with you and your family. Btw, have you received the latest 'Dispatch' yet?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Phew! thanks, Kester! I've amended the link:

http://www.adkinshistory.com/JaneAustensEngland.aspx

Yes, things have been quiet of late on the website - one of those periodic lulls most sites experience from time to time. My domestic responsibilities, including sorting things after a house move (horrific!)take up a lot of time; but things are easing and I hope to be more active on the website in due course.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:43 pm 

Anna,

Thanks. It certainly looks to be an interesting read.

Glad things are getting better for you. Any news on the Dispatch?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:06 pm 

:) I have got a copy of 'Jack Tar' - so will certainly be looking at this book with a view to buying. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:07 pm 

Anna, many thanks for the very kind mention of our new book, Eavesdropping on Jane Austen's England, which is intended to be a companion to Jack Tar (Jack Tar covers the years 1771 to 1815, and this land-based book is 1770 to 1817, the year of Jane Austen’s death).

I’m glad to see you have moved house, Anna. Like Kester, I’ve not been active on this website in an age, though I have looked in from time to time. To make up for my neglect, I’m about to post information on another new book, Support for the Fleet, by Jonathan Coad.

By the way, Roy and I are giving various talks through the rest of the year, which you can see at http://www.adkinshistory.com/latestnews.aspx. In the US the book will be published in August as simply Jane Austen’s England.

Lesley

http://www.adkinshistory.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:04 am 

Thanks for the info!

A brilliant combination - engrossing, wide-ranging subject matter covered by two great authors - the society that bred the men who fought at sea.

I look forward to eavesdropping on Jane Austen's England.

More details of the History Live event at Kelmarsh Hall - where Roy and Lesley are appearing - can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/nt4n7hp

Notice that Sam Willis is presenting his 'Dispatches from Trafalgar' talk here too. What a programme!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Admin

There was a short but complimentary review of the book in yesterday's 'Sunday Times'. The Adkins' book 'vividly evoke[s]' the world of Jane Austen and is described as 'this excellent book'. Congratulations! Another one on my 'to buy' list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:33 am 

I always have been a great believer in reading around a topic. You cannot really understand the navies of the period without understanding the domestic environment that was also an important part of their lives. So this will probably be another on my to read list..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Joss:

then you must also read 'Jane Austen and the Navy' by the late Brian Southam - a member of this forum during his lifetime. JA, as you almost certainly know, had two admiral brothers and held the navy in high esteem, which is reflected in her novels, particularly my favourite, 'Persuasion'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:58 am 

Jacqui ('Mira') mentioned the Kelmarsh event, and this is a quick note to say it was brilliant. Run by English Heritage each year, this year the weather was very kind and the entire event brilliantly run. The main lecture tent was organised by the BBC History Magazine. All the talks, including our own, were really well attended. I would definitely recommend it for another year, though it would be good to see re-enactors from Nelson's navy and also more Georgian/Regency re-enactors - even so, there were plenty of military re-enactors of that period, who were excellent. We're giving more talks from 20th September, but will do a separate post under 'Information'.

Lesley Adkins
http://www.adkinshistory.com