Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Love and Glory
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:34 pm 

Warner Bros. new Lord Nelson film 'Love and Glory'.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warner-bros-lord-nelson-love-and-glory-1200608308/
Script by Peter Woodard.

'Woodward will use source material from the John Sugden biographies “Nelson: A Dream of Glory” and “Nelson: The Sword of Albion.”'. :D

Post subject: Re: Love and Glory
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that info, appear! That's certainly something to look forward to!

Peter Woodward played a leading role in 'Testament of Youth', a wonderful 1970's TV adaptation of Vera Brittain's memoir of the First World War. Many veterans were still alive then, of course, and one old gentleman of my acquaintance who served in the trenches said it captured the atmosphere of the times absolutely perfectly. Let's hope 'Love and Glory' is similarly redolent of Nelson's era.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 pm 

Appear,

That certainly is something to watch out for. If it is to draw from John Sugden's biographies, then it may not be 'all at sea'!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 am 

Let us hope that the director does not stray too far from the facts and there will be no flights of fancy! I'm hoping that he/she will not want his Lordship to speak with a Norfolk drawl. Actors find it very difficult to master the Norfolk accent, it usually sounds a cross between Somerset and Cornish. All very annoying and could detract from the script.

Which actor I wonder will take on the roll of Nelson and will he be convincing... any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:00 am 

I'm so excited about this :D From the title (and which shouldn't be surprising - it is Hollywood after all!) I guess Lady Hamilton will feature prominently, but I hope the love story won't detract too much from the naval action. But the fact that it will draw from Sugden's books is very promising.

I reckon Johnny Depp could be good - perhaps too good-looking for our hero, but he's an amazing actor, and could probably even pull off the Norfolk accent. Or Robert Lindsay - he had a very commanding presence as Edward Pellew in Hornblower. Although a previously little-known actor (one from Norfolk ideally!) would probably be best.

By the way, my partner has already outright refused to watch this with me, or at least will sit on the opposite side of the cinema! He reckons that my pointing out any little inaccuracy will get quite annoying/embarrassing :P

Profile E-mail