Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Petition to save Deptford Dockyard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 am 

I don't know how many are aware of this, and I am only just learning more about this myself, but there are plans afoot to scupper the already existing plans to rejuvenate historic Deptford dockyard, by a Hong-Kong based redevelopment company. It would appear that the plans of this company include the complete bulldozing of the site to provide high end residential accomodation, which would be well outside the scope of local people. It would also appear that the mayor of London, Boris Johnson, has fast tracked their application.

I am sure we all here would think this a great mistake, not to say tragedy, were it to happen – certainly historically. It would seem that all trace of the Dockyard, John Evelyn's garden, and other historic sites would disappear, not to mention dashing the hopes of local people for the rejuvenation of the area, and the proposed plans to build a replica of the seventeenth century warship, Lenox. As far as the latter is concerned, it was the hope that local people could be employed in her building, in an area of already high unemployment.

There is an on-line petition, which I have signed, and which I am sure many here would like to do. Here is the link:

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ ... yard#share

Here is the link to the Lenox project and further details:

http://www.buildthelenox.org/

I am sure they might already be aware, but perhaps we might bring this to the attention of the Nelson Society and the 1805?

Post subject: Re: Petition to save Deptford Dockyard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for drawing this proposed vandalism to our attention, Kester. I've signed the petition.

What a contrast to Chatham! I read about the restoration there in the magazine 'House & Garden' of all places. Having fallen into desolation after its closure, now, under the aegis of a trust, this vast 80 acre site has been restored and converted into an award-winning museum.

http://www.thedockyard.co.uk/

Of course, it might not be financially possible to achieve anything similar at Deptford; but there are many examples of historic buildings being adapted to modern purposes while showing sensitivity towards their history. Maybe the petition will achieve a change of heart - but money is the bottom line today and I fear that the developers and their millions will be unstoppable.

Post subject: Re: Petition to save Deptford Dockyard
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 am 

Anna,

Thanks for signing the petition – I hope many others will too. Apparently the deadline for a decision is in February 2014. Here is another link, to the Deptford Is. website, which tells one rather more about the situation in greater depth:

http://www.deptfordis.org.uk/

There would appear to be a lot of skulduggery going on there, the more you read about it! The sad, perhaps I should say criminal, thing about it is that Hutchinson Whampoa appear to pay no heed to the local people, and what they want, whatsoever and hardly mention the historic aspect of the site at all. They're not interested in that, of course! In a way it's a pity that Deptford Dockyard and its historic aspect has been forgotten in the minds of the general public, in sharp contrast to Chatham or Portsmouth. If their profile had been higher, more people would know of this development.

One wonders, however, if a petition will be enough to sway the powers that be, but I am sure other wheels are in motion. Although the Nelson Society and 1805 Club probably already know of this, I will be contacting them.

Btw, the second of my links to the Lenox has changed. Just type in 'build the lenox' to access it.