It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Nelson Documentary
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:14 pm 

anyone else heard of this?

Ray

Lord Nelson life dramatised by BBC2
17 December, 2013 | By Alex Farber

The letters of Lord Horatio Nelson are to be turned into a drama doc for BBC2 by Oxford Scientific Films.
The 60-minute film, Nelson in his own Words, will combine talking heads expert interviews with scripted elements, drawing heavily on the military figure’s own communications to fellow officers and his family.
The film will focus on the period of Nelson’s life when he was at the height of powers, from winning the Battle of the Nile in 1798 to his death at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. It will also touch on the affair he had with Emma Hamilton.
OSF executive producer Steve Condie, who joined from the BBC 12 months ago, has been aiming to expand the indie’s output.
“Drama docs seem to come and go as an acceptable way to tell stories, but we felt we had such genuinely good source material it gave us real validity,” said Condie.
“The format may be the model for us to look at other iconic figures. There is huge interest from viewers in taking the figures who they know a little about and telling their stories in a refreshed way.”
He added that he was working on a similar idea about Winston Churchill, inspired by the collection of letters written by the former British prime minister.
For full production credits visit
Broadcast Greenlight
Nelson in his own Words
Nelson in his own Words will be exec produced by Condie with Emmy-nominated director David Belton. It was ordered by BBC history and business commissioning executive Martin Davidson. Nelson will be played played by RSC actor Jonathan Slinger.
Davidson said: “Nelson is one of the pivotal figures in our history and this is a take that captures his vital role in a turbulent historical moment and gives us a proper sense of his complex character.”
Condie added: “The picture that emerges is of a man who is reckless, driven, egotistical, jealous and wildly irrational. All the traits you might not expect a man stood on top of a plinth to have.”
The film is due for delivery in February ahead of a spring TX.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Nelson Documentary
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks for the info: Raldis!

A friend mentioned that she had seen something about this but couldn't remember any details. Sound very promising.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 pm 

Looking forward to this!
From a personal viewpoint, I'm praying Johnathan Slinger can speak with a hint of a Norfolk accent. In previous documentaries I've always found it a source of great frustration.
Fingers crossed!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:51 am 

Trimmer wrote:
Looking forward to this!
From a personal viewpoint, I'm praying Johnathan Slinger can speak with a hint of a Norfolk accent. In previous documentaries I've always found it a source of great frustration.
Fingers crossed!

Amen to that. I picked up an old cassette of "Letters of Lord Nelson" read by Charles Dance in an unbearable plummy RADA voice. Killed those letters dead.

I suppose there's no hope the BBC will give us a really authentic "squeaking little voice"!