Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Nelson Society
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:19 am 

Hello all, and Happy New Year!

Does anyone know what is happening to the Nelson Society? Communication from the Society is verging on the non-existent. Am I the only member whose copies of the "Nelson Dispatch" seem to be few and very far between, or am I in imminent danger of becoming paranoid?!!

Rosie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Nelson Society
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:31 am 
Site Admin

I've just renewed my membership so the Society is still in existence; but I'm sorry to hear you haven't had regular issues of the Nelson Dispatch. There were problems with it a little while ago but it seemed to have got back on track.

I get emails about meetings/dinners too. Maybe you should drop a line to the membership secretary to see if your details are entered correctly on their database? Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:21 am 

I've had my copies of the Nelson Dispatch for last year up to July, and like Anna I've had emails too.

(edited for clarification)

Last edited by Starhawk on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:24 pm 

Many thanks for all your help - I shall indeed ask them to check the database details.

Best wishes

Rosie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:42 pm 

Fear not, the Nelson Society is alive and well, albeit always on the lookout for new members. Just before Christmas we had an amazing private visit to the 'Turner & the Sea' exhibition and to the new 'Nelson, Navy, Nation' gallery at the NMM. (For full report see next Dispatch - will be out soon). Next event is the Haydn 'Nelson' Mass at the chapel of the old Royal Naval College, Greenwich - I went last year and it was terrific. The day finished with a glass of port and a toast to the 'Immortal Memory' in the Painted Hall. For details of this coming event see 'The Official Nelson Society' website. See the website too for membership details.

Ray

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:56 pm 

raldis wrote:
Fear not, the Nelson Society is alive and well, albeit always on the lookout for new members. Just before Christmas we had an amazing private visit to the 'Turner & the Sea' exhibition and to the new 'Nelson, Navy, Nation' gallery at the NMM. (For full report see next Dispatch - will be out soon). Next event is the Haydn 'Nelson' Mass at the chapel of the old Royal Naval College, Greenwich - I went last year and it was terrific. The day finished with a glass of port and a toast to the 'Immortal Memory' in the Painted Hall. For details of this coming event see 'The Official Nelson Society' website. See the website too for membership details.

Ray

Ray

Could you or someone else please confirm what is the latest Nelson Dispatch that has been published. I have just glanced on the relevant shelf and the latest one I have there is July 2013. It's VERY possible that I could have misfiled a later one but would appreciate confirmation on that.

And there is one other small thing that sort of ties in with Rosie's original query. I recall at one time that an annual summary of the Nelson Society accounts used to be sent out with the Dispatch. I used to find that useful to see exactly how the Subscription money and other income was being spent. i.e. on the Dispatch and any other projects etc. etc. Again I might be wrong but I can't recall seeing that for some while now. I wonder if it was a conscious decision to stop sending it out?

Hope it's O.K. to raise these questions here otherwise I can delete the post and address the queries direct to the Secretary of the NS.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:58 pm 

Hi MB,

'July 2013' is the date of the last Dispatch sent out. 'October 2013' is running late but should be with you soon.

Copies of the account were handed out at the last AGM (Bristol, 19 Oct 13), but your question re copies going out with the Dispatch I'm not able to answer. If you look at the Society's website you'll see that you can email questions via 'Contact Us'. On the other hand, if you care to wait I'll raise the question at next month's Committee meeting.

Ray

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:30 pm 

Thanks Ray. At least I hadn't mislaid a copy of the Dispatch.

I'm sure yourself and the Committee of the NS will appreciate that this isn't too clever just at the time that the annual subscription has increased to £30 - and that they are actively trying to increase the membership.

I do regular articles for a couple of magazines/newsletters and I have maximum respect for the editors of magazines. i.e. the time and commitment that is required to put together a completed edition. But my humble suggestion is that if there are problems with publication the variable should be the size of the edition (number of pages) rather than the date of publication. I think that I receive all other magazines that I subscribe to in the month prior to the cover date, never in the same month or later.

Anyway sorry to raise these issues here, but you can see that Rosie's post struck a chord with me.

If Anna wants to delete this thread or move it to another section of the forum then feel free.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

I'm quite happy for the thread to remain on the open forum. No topic is closed and any opinion may be expressed, however contentious, so long as it is done courteously - which, of course, it is!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 am 

Hello MB,

I agree with you about the Dispatch dates and arrival, and fully appreciate how much time and work goes into the production of any Club newsletter or journal, but as the October Dispatch is so late, as was the previous issue, I can't help feeling that a short email to members with the information that the issues would be delayed would have been most welcome.

Best wishes,

Rosie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:19 pm 

Rosie wrote:
I can't help feeling that a short email to members with the information that the issues would be delayed would have been most welcome.
Rosie

Rosie

I agree it is the communication (or lack) that causes the frustration. I am sure that the contents of this thread will have got back to someone on the committee of the NS. So hopefully that will have the desired effect.

I think I've said my piece now so will leave it at that.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04 pm 

Me too, MB!

Rosie

Profile E-mail