Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grog and tobacco
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:43 am 

Was a tobacco allowance introduced, when a small number of sailors ceased to drink?
I once talked with an 'old sailor' who said some sailors 'swapped' one for the other or vice versa?
He also said that the daily 'gill' ration of rum was of a very high quality and far exceeded anything one could buy on 'civi street' and the officers quota and quality even better!
'Black Tot' day was a sad day for many.

David.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Grog and tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 pm 

hi David - I'm not sure when you are referring to for the introduction of a tobacco allowance but ship's musters for 1798 (Battle of the Nile time) had a column for 'Tobacco' and on the Orion certainly most of the men paid up (this is not a mathematic analysis, btw, just a quick flip down the pages by me!)

These are the headings in the muster books -

Attachment:
muster headings LH.JPG
muster headings LH.JPG [ 63.17 KiB | Viewed 27291 times ]

Attachment:
muster headings RH.JPG
muster headings RH.JPG [ 77.23 KiB | Viewed 27291 times ]

There is a fairly detailed explanation of the headings here which makes interesting reading -

http://www.barnettmaritime.co.uk/navalpaymuster.htm

and in it he says Pursers ran the accounts for ‘Tobacco’, so I'm assuming the grog was 'free' issue but the tobacco was paid for (I stand to be corrected on this and I know there are more knowledgeable members on the forum)

Cheers, MTS

ps - I've just remembered this note in the ship's log, by Captain Saumarez - written just after the Battle of the Nile -

Attachment:
wine .jpg
wine .jpg [ 20.41 KiB | Viewed 27290 times ]

which says 'Gave the Ships Compy 36 Gallons of Wine, as an Extra Allowance in Consequence of the Action'

three cheers for the Captain -!!!-

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:14 pm 

Given the danger of fire, you'd think smoking aboard would be restricted... was it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:08 am 

Thanks for your reply `emmteeyess`
Its all interesting for sure, `reading between the lines` so to speak; it seems a lot depended on the `actual` captain of the ship.
Like you i stand to be corrected, but, in some ways the battle of Waterloo 'was' won on the playing fields of Eton.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Galiano:

I'm not sure whether smoking was allowed on board - as you say, with the hazard of fire, it would have been a risky occupation. However, I wonder if tobacco was actually smoked. I grew up in a mining village, and it was very common for miners to chew tobacco underground - matches or cigarette lighters were, of course, banned because of the risk of explosion from methane gas. They believed that chewing tobacco, and spitting out the saliva was a precaution against swallowing coal dust, with the consequent risk of the lung disease pneumoconiosis, common among miners. I think you get the nicotine 'hit' from chewing as well as smoking tobacco, so maybe sailors got their hit that way.

Snuff was also in common usage at the time. Nelson always took quantities aboard, though whether this was for personal consumption or for offering to guests is not clear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 am 

Chewing tobacco was a habit associated with sailors. On one occasion (1803) when selecting pressed men from the receiving ship, my ancestor told his lieutenant to make sure he picked seamen by choosing those chewing tobacco. Unfortunately another captain had beaten him to it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 am 

Fire was one of the worst disasters that could occur to a wooden ship so smoking, or indeed the use of any naked flames below decks was strictly controlled, particularly in proximity to the magazine. I believe in many cases it was a punishable offence.

For this reason, many seamen took to chewing tobacco in the form of a 'quid' and, as Tony said, it was a practice of long standing. Smoking I think was allowed, but this activity was usually relegated to the upper (weather) deck, very likely the fo'c's'le since this was the off-watch area used by the crew. As Anna mentioned, the nicotine effect would probably have been the same when chewing tobacco.

As regards the amount of snuff Nelson took to sea, I'm not sure he himself used it that much. I have, though, an idea that it was mainly for the use of any dignataries and guests, that might come aboard in ports that were visited – to help 'oil the wheels of diplomacy'.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 am 

Hello team, when a man o war was fully operational there would of been no time to smoke!
its unlikely smoking was banned in my opinion, naked flames were everywhere!
They were extremely dangerous in all ways!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 am 

Marzy wrote:
Hello team, when a man o war was fully operational there would of been no time to smoke!
its unlikely smoking was banned in my opinion, naked flames were everywhere!
They were extremely dangerous in all ways!

As one of the 'team', I tend to disagree. There would have been ample opportunity for the, probably relatively few, in the ship's company who chose to smoke (in the designated areas of course). Similarly, other activities were engaged in when off watch – especially on long, monotonous, passages, and as far as any activities against the enemy were concerned – even when a ship was on a war footing. Ship were not constantly at battle stations, and figures show that engagements against the enemy were comparatively low down on the list, for the period most ships were at sea.

Your last two sentences would seem to contradict themselves. If the navy wasn't that bothered about naked lights below decks, why then did they go to the lengths of providing glass-enclosed light boxes in the magazines?

Btw, exclamation marks aren't really necessary (!)

Last edited by Devenish on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:00 pm 

Sorry Kester.
Your right of course, my apologies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:35 pm 

David,

Ok, no worries, as they say down under. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:01 pm 

Chewing it, of course... *smacks own forehead* :roll:

(I was thinking smoking just then, because I'd been wondering when cigarettes came into use and there's a Goya painting dated 1777-8 in which a man appears, at least from a distance, to be smoking a cigarette)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:48 pm 

Imagine what their teeth were like. Chewing tobacco must have been something like the, thankfully small, number of people in the habit of taking 'snus' over here in Sweden – yeugh! :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Not to mention the risk of mouth cancer - a hazard of chewing tobacco.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:30 pm 

Maybe the average seaman didn't live long enough to die of cancer. Somebody, Nelson or maybe Collingwood, remarked that the sea life aged a man extremely fast. Though whether that brought down average lifespan I don't know.