Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I Never Knew That About Britain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 pm 

I have just watched an episode of "I Never Knew That About Britain" on TV. There was a quirky little item on it that I thought worth sharing.

They went to the official centre of London which is the spot used to measure all distances to and from the capital. I never knew this before but it is the equestrian statue of Charles I in Trafalgar Square. The statue is obviously just adjacent to Nelson's Column so give or take a very yards Nelson stands right at the official centre of London.

Not exactly "earth shattering" information but I rather like the idea that Nelson's column stands at that important focal point.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I Never Knew That About Britain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:21 pm 

Its not 'earth shattering' no but still interesting.
A quirky thing here is; the exact centre of a few American Cities was atop the 'pitchers mound' of their beloved ball parks.
Nelson would certainly be aware of such a sport as it was played at the Kensington Oval long before it crossed the Atlantic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

I was about to question Mark's post about the exact centre of London as I had always thought it was Charing Cross Station, once the site of one of the 'Eleanor Crosses' that marked the progress of the body of Queen Eleanor but a quick Google confirmed that the cross where the statue of Charles I now stands. This is the official centre of London. 'This point in Trafalgar Square is regarded as the official centre of London in legislation and wHen measuring distances from London.'

I agree that is satisfying to think that Nelson is right at the heart of the capital. He faces Whitehall, in order, someone has pointed out, that he can keep an eye on the Admiralty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:12 am 

Hi Anna

Yes, they started out by asking a taxi driver where the centre of London is and he said Charing Cross.

Then they investigated further and ended up in Trafalgar Square.

I see now that the confusion comes from the fact that the original location of the "Charing Cross" is where the Charles I statue now stands. The Charing Cross that we see today in its new location is a replacement for (though not replica of) the original.

Phew!

This page shows the brass plaque that is set in to the pavement by the statue.

http://rodcorp.typepad.com/photos/variousthings/centrelondon_mileage.html

Oh well, that's something new I learned today!! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:53 am 

The centre of London always changes depending on the amount of beer one has drunk. :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:27 pm 

Marzy wrote:
The centre of London always changes depending on the amount of beer one has drunk. :?

Quite a bit of beer gets quaffed in Trafalgar Square Marzy.

Esp. on New Year's Eve judging by the revellers frolicking in the fountains.

On that subject I don't know how many of you know that the original fountains from Trafalgar Square are in Canada. They did a major makeover of TS many years back and replaced the fountains including all the stone surrounds etc. They found a new home for the old ones somewhere in Canada. I've got the details here somewhere but somebody might be able to Google it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm 

Mark Barrett wrote:
Marzy wrote:
On that subject I don't know how many of you know that the original fountains from Trafalgar Square are in Canada. They did a major makeover of TS many years back and replaced the fountains including all the stone surrounds etc. They found a new home for the old ones somewhere in Canada. I've got the details here somewhere but somebody might be able to Google it.

Mark,

I trust that Nelson's Column is the original one though, and that didn't end up in Canada as well? :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:10 pm 

Devenish wrote:
I trust that Nelson's Column is the original one though, and that didn't end up in Canada as well? :?

Hi Kester

If poss. I'll look out the details of the fountains and where they ended up. I hope my memory is not playing tricks here but I think they put in bigger fountains to reduce the space where people could congregate. There were serious concerns at one time that a major demonstration could start in Trafalgar Square that would move down Whitehall and storm Parliament.

Ref Nelson's Column of course the Canadians tried to blow up their one in Montreal didn't they so probably wouldn't have been looking for another one!!

BUT didn't Hitler have designs on it if the Germans had invaded in WWII. I'm sure there were plans to move it to Berlin as one fiendish way of trying to break the British spirit. Pretty sure I am correct on that one!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Hitler did plan to remove Nelson's Column to Germany after a successful invasion. He also planned to use Blenheim Palace, built for another hero, the Duke of Marlborough, as his headquarters - that's why he gave orders that nearby Oxford should not be bombed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 am 

tycho wrote:
Yes, Hitler did plan to remove Nelson's Column to Germany after a successful invasion. He also planned to use Blenheim Palace, built for another hero, the Duke of Marlborough, as his headquarters - that's why he gave orders that nearby Oxford should not be bombed.

I didn't know that about Blenheim Palace and Oxford. I know that they did target other heritage towns and cities. Again trying to break the morale of the people. They used the Baedeker guide books of Britain to help them select the targets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:09 am 

Oxford and Cambridge were not 'worth' bombing same as Heidelberg.
Industrial targets of course, thats the terrible nature of war.
The 'modern cigarette' came into been around the crimean war period.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:06 am 
Site Admin

Industrial targets were the main goal, as you say, David; but many beautiful old cities of no strategic or military value, such as my beloved Bath, were also attacked on Hitler's orders. The artist John Piper made many pictures and drawings of the ruins and said the time he spent doing them was 'the worst week of his life.'

Aaargh - wandering way off topic. Back to Trafalgar Square.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 am 

Hello Anna,
Yes its easy to go wandering off as you say, one 'small' mystery is why Huddersfield wasn't targeted because it had major chemical works.
Liverpool & Manchester were hit hard; i knew Bath was hit my grandfather was there, he travelled down from Yorkshire working for an electrical company.
I'll try not to roam from now on :wink:

David.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:40 am 

Oxford is an industrial city (I was born there). Cars have been built at Oxford for over 100 years now. During World War 2, Tiger Moth aircraft, ambulances, military trucks, and some weapons were made there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:28 am 

Yes your right sorry, i think Cambridge was never bombed, I'm making to many mistakes recently.
If I'm annoying you folks please let me know? i could leave the forum for good.
I'm sorry.

David. :(

Profile E-mail