Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thomas Fletcher's journal - "Defence"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 am 

I would appreciate help in finding the current location of the Journal of Thomas Fletcher who was a gunner aboard HMS Defence at the battle of Trafalgar. He was my great-great-grandfather, so I would like an opportunity to read the journal or locate a transcript, if it is currently owned by an institution that is open to the public. There are also a related manuscript and Trafalgar medals.

The journal of seaman Thomas Fletcher (b.1779), on H.M.S. Defence, including a first-hand account of the
Battle of Trafalgar, 21 October 1805. Est: £15,000-£20,000 at http://www.sothebys.com/ru/auctions/eca ... 410-17.pdf

[ HORATIO NELSON - TRAFALGAR MEMORABILIA ] FLETCHER, THOMAS. Autograph journal written during his service as second gunner, then able seaman, on H.M.S. Defence, October 1804 to November 1805, including accounts PROVENANCE Able Seaman Thomas Fletcher Thence by family descent to the present owner CATALOGUE NOTE
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/h ... tbz7i82zaz
[
HORATIO NELSON - TRAFALGAR MEMORABILIA ] FLETCHER, THOMAS. Collection of material belonging to able seaman Thomas Fletcher, comprising: PROVENANCE Able Seaman Thomas Fletcher Thence by family descent to the present owner CATALOGUE NOTE i) Manuscript booklet, predominantly in Fletcher's hand recognisable from lot 192, comprising the General Order dated H.M.S. Euryalus, 22 Oc This notebook of Thomas Fletcher is closely connected to the journal he kept at the time of Trafalgar and contains further examples of the patriotic ii) Boulton's Trafalgar Medal, 1805, in white metal, as given by Matthew Boulton to seamen and marines present at the battle. Obverse: uniformed bust of Nelson left; Reverse: a view of the opening stages of the battle; edge lettered to the heroes of trafalgar from m: boulton The medals were produced and distributed at Boulton's personal expense. It is probable that 16,163 were struck. Fletcher records receiving his medal iii) Shaving box (135 x 80 x 35mm). Naively produced piece of treen (mahogany and oak), name engraved on cover, original mercurial gilded mirror; los iv) Ships' biscuit (120mm diameter), portion broken. The remarkable survival of Fletcher's ships' biscuit is a reminder of one of the less edifying aspects of life in an eighteenth century warship.

Thomas Fletcher was identified the obituary of his son Mark Fletcher who died in Logan, Cache County, Utah, USA in 1904:"His father fought at the battle of Trafalgar under Lord Nelson. A short time after he died, leaving his son Mark, but 11 years of age, to support his mother and three sisters."

If anyone has seen these items, I would be interested to know if the images of pages at the sites noted above are of the actual documents or "clip art", as this statement gives one doubt: "Very different from the polished correspondence of educated officers, this records,
in terse, clumsy prose, the naval life of Thomas Fletcher (age 26) who had been pressed into service in 1803."

I would also like to identify the consignee, who will be my relative as it was a descendant of Thomas Fletcher and the collection had been kept intact for 200 years.

Thanks for any ideas anyone can provide in locating the present whereabouts of this collection.

Ann Fletcher Lamb annl7777@aol.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Thomas Fletcher's journal - "Defence"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post.

I note that the journal was sold by Sotheby's. It is unlikely that they would reveal the name of the buyer to you, but it is worth approaching the auction house, asking if they would pass on a request from you to the owner to have access to the journal.

I once approached Christie's to do this for me regarding a letter written by Lord Nelson. They did so and the buyer got in touch and we had a pleasant correspondence so it might be worth a try.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Thomas Fletcher's journal - "Defence"
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:39 pm 

Ann, I'm afraid I can't offer any further help in identifying the current whereabouts of the journal, but would just like to point out that the journal and the other memorabilia were originally offered as two lots (192 and 193) in the Sotheby's Trafalgar: Nelson and the Napoleonic Wars sale on 5 October 2005: http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/eca ... t.192.html & http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/eca ... t.193.html For some reason, the journal didn't sell (or was withdrawn) and was subsequently sold at Sotheby's on 7 December 2006: http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/eca ... ot.17.html

Sotheby's printed catalogue for the 2005 sale devoted 4 pages to the two lots, including three photos, and contained longer extracts from the journal than contained in the online lot descriptions. Abebooks lists one or two copies of the catalogue: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... =t&x=0&y=0 and they also appear on eBay from time to time.

There is no doubt that the images shown with the lot details are definitely photos of the original journal and other memorabilia. The comment that the journal is "very different from the polished correspondence of educated officers" is simply highlighting the fact that it was written by an able seaman with less education, and thus all the more rare for that.

Good luck with your search.