Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lord Nelson etching
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:28 pm 

I hope this is within the rules of a first posting! We run an auction at http://www.pfcauctions.com and have an interesting etching of Lord Nelson in our next sale. As well as informing you of the sale I wondered if anyone might have more information on the item, including the engraver John Buckle-Barlee.

Description: This original crow quill pen etching (circa 1800), by John Buckle-Barlee, shows Lord Nelson arriving at Great Yarmouth. The etching measures approx 6cm x 7½cm and is presented in a brass oval shaped frame with glass front. Cut to shape inside the frame is a short note of provenance explaining: "The original paper is under this with my Great Grandmother's writing. Anne Beatty nee Buckle-Barlee whose brother John etched Nelson after he landed at Yarmouth..."

https://www.picollecta.com/collection/autographs-books-and-memorabilia-auction-18615/lot-98-lord-nelson-etching-of-nelson-arriving-at-yarmouth-1000060345

Thank you very much - enjoyable website!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lord Nelson etching
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum!

This image bears a strong resemblance to another work by Simon de Koster. Could Buckle-Barlee's engraving be from this work?

http://prints.rmg.co.uk/art/517550/H

I am not qualified to comment further but maybe Jacqui is looking in? She is a fount of wisdom on the art of our period (and much else) and could provide, I'm sure, some illuminating comments.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:32 am 

Hi Anna

Thanks for the welcome. We'll look into the Simon de Koster 'link'

Thanks!
PFC

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:56 pm 

This is almost certainly one of many copies of De Koster's portrait drawn at the end of 1800, just before Nelson deployed for the Baltic. It might, however, be a copy after John Whichelo's 'Nelson', the last artist that Nelson sat for at Merton in September 1805. Whichelo may well have been influenced by Nelson's admiration of De Koster's work. Richard Walker's book 'The Nelson Portraits' is probably the best guide.

Ray

Profile E-mail