Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello to old and new Nelsonians
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm 

Hello all.

Just wanted to post a quick message to say Happy Trafalgar Day to you all, hope your evenings are going as well as mine.

Hi to old friends Mark, Susan and Tycho and any new ones I've yet to meet.

Glad to see there's still a forum and as many people people interested as there was on Mark's previous website.

Regards

Darren

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello to old and new Nelsonians
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:50 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, Nelius! Good to hear from you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 am 

Hi Darren

Wow - it's good to hear from you after all this time.

It was sad that I had to close down the old forum, but I am sure you can remember the various disasters that befell it. i.e. firstly a disgruntled ex-employee of Ezboard hacked into their server and deleted all the data. Some forums got their history restored but we sadly didn't. Then there was a lot of bad feeling caused by various members. And finally, without warning the forum was moved onto the Yuku platform so all the formatting was lost and it looked a real mess. I simply hadn't got enough hours in the day to sort out this latter problem and sadly had to call it a day.

Anyway enough of the past. I hope everything is well with you. Do you still have the full size model of Nelson that you bought? (I hope I have got that right and my memory isn't playing tricks.) I remember that we discovered that there were at least 3 of those models in various locations but not who had made them or why!!

I'm not doing anywhere near as much research as I was back then but still have all my books and papers close to hand. Only this week I received an email enquiry about Scottish sailors and marines who served at Trafalgar. So I am still trying to "do my bit" whenever I can.

Susan was a member on this forum but I don't know how often she looks in. I am sure that if she sees that you have posted she will make herself known.

All the best for now.

Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:44 am 

Just in case anyone wonders what I am referring to above I just had a quick browse through my photos from the old forum. And lo and behold here is the model I was referring to.

Attachment:
Nelson statue.jpg
Nelson statue.jpg [ 10.91 KiB | Viewed 10214 times ]

As can be seen it was owned at the time by a chap who dealt in long case clocks. Something tells me that Darren bought it, but if I got that wrong I am sure he will put me straight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:37 pm 

Hi Mark,

Nice to chat to again after all this time. Yes I did indeed buy the statue and as I type this he's right next to me still. There were indeed 3 made....two survive; mine and one other in the Trafalgar Hotel in Penzance where he props up the bar! They were made to stand at the 3 entrances of the Naval Dockyard at Portsmouth for the centennial celebrations of Trafalgar.

Sorry to hear about all the difficulties regarding the old site...it was a credit to you. I'm still doing my bit for the research side of things but concentrate now on spreading the Nelsonian word to the next generation via schools and colleges thanks to my eldest son's connections in education.

I read recently of a 10 year old from Norfolk who has a Nelson museum in his bedroom and charges people £2 to have a look....I've tried contacting the reporter of the story in the Metro without joy....I wanted to give him 99% of my collection to increase his knowledge and keep that enthusiasm going; once upon a time I was that 10 year old!

Would be great to chat to Susan again, we lost contact a while ago due to her personal circumstances.....and anyone reading this that was part of the bicentennial pub crawl in 2005 in London.....I was the one dragging you around all the Nelson pubs!

Regards

Darren

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 pm 

Darren

I'm so pleased you've still got "his Lordship". There's also something at the back of my mind that you went and collected him in your Mini. :D

I definitely remembered that we tracked another one down to the pub in Penzance but I was absolutely flumoxed as to why they had been made in the first place. So it's great that you made the connection with Portsmouth Dockyard and the Trafalgar centennial celebrations. Did you ever find out how they came on the open market? I'd love to know that!!

Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:23 pm 

Hi Darren

I have just belatedly read your post of 24 October, where you mention you had tried to contact the Norfolk lad who has the Nelson 'bedroom' museum. Did you ever get a response from the local paper?

If not, I read an article in the Autumn Nelson Dispatch where they had made the young man an Honorary
Junior Member of the Society. If you are still trying to make contact, perhaps the editor might be able to pass on your kind offer to him.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards

Phil

Profile E-mail