Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Night of the Proms 2014
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:07 pm 

This was broadcast on Swedish television the other night.

Generally a rather strange mix I thought, but some memorable performances by the by the Dutch violinist, and other soloists. However, yet again, Henry Wood's Sea Songs was notable by its omission.

I think this seemingly growing trend rather sad, as it was designed by Wood to be a special part of the Proms, and was written in 1905 to celebrate the 100th anniversary ot Trafalgar. It is also perhaps the only part where audience can truly participate, although of course they do intevene at other times. (For instance, I had to laugh when the female soloist arrived on stage, to sing a medley of songs from Mary Poppins in a red gown, only for one of the audience to shout out 'nice dress!' to which she mouthed 'thank you!')

I've read variously that the BBC in their 'largesse' have removed it, either because it is not now considered PC, or that the now inclusive broadcasts from other places in the UK, such as the Proms in the Park are deemed more important (but not to my mind).

It was good to hear the nautical 'Plymouth Hoe', one of my favourite pieces, but that did not really make up for the Sea Songs with its mix of emotions, and usually superb renditions from the musicians in the Orchestra. Bring it back!