Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New 'Nelson and Emma' Film?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Various websites for film fans such as www.filmstalker.co.uk mention a film in the making (2007) 'Nelson and Emma' - the story of Emma Hamilton.'

The screenplay is by Julian Fellowes for Nick Barton and Suzanne Mackie of Harbour Pictures.

Doe anyone know any more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:07 am 

Tycho,

I eventually found this after following a rather round about route, since I couldn't see it on Filmstalker's webpage. I looked up Julian Fellowes on the International Movie Data Base, a good film site by the way, and according to them the film is in the production stage and is due for release in 2009. No other information.

No news either about Neptune Pictures film about Nelson, production, release date etc. It was supposed to have come out in 2005! I did contact them once and they said it had been put back, no date given. They seem however to be going great guns with producing other films, so I wonder whether we'll actually see it at all!

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Another delay...like Sugden. And Nelson was such a punctual fellow too -'always a quarter of an hour before my time...'. Ah, well. Thanks, anyway, for the information.

Post subject: Nelson and Emma film
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 am 

Apologies for this being a bit hazy. I recall reading an interview about this with Julian Fellowes a while ago. It might have been in something like Variety or The Stage magazine, and I'll try to refresh the brain cells to remember exactly where.

Fellowes had already been working on the screenplay for some time, and although there wasn't much detail about the synopsis, the project was obviously at an advanced stage in development.

That should bode well for the live prospect of a cinematic result.

I also recall that Fellowes said he was descended from an officer at Trafalgar and felt very close to the project because of that.

For anyone unfamiliar with Fellowes work, he's probably still best known
for his acting work, although he produced the screenplay for the period piece 'Gosford Park' - got an Oscar for it I think, and he writes cracking books with great characterisation.

Harbour Pictures website shows that they are a young company, only producing a couple of films so far, and one of them was 'Calendar Girls.'

Hopefully Fellowes' 'Nelson and Emma' will be an interesting production.

And on time?