Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tischbein engravings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Admin

It is well known that Sir William Hamilton did much to foster the eighteenth century interest in classical art and artefacts, and that his purchases formed the basis of the British Museum's collection of classical vases.

Sir William arranged for engravings to be made of the decorations on the vases. There were several editions produced. Those by Tischbein are well-regarded and now quite rare. They sell for quite large sums, but from time to time, a very reputable US dealer, the Rare Prints Gallery, sells unframed prints on ebay. I got mine for about £60 which is much cheaper than buying through a gallery.

These prints were hand coloured later in a soft sepia/tawny brown which might offend purists, since they were originally black and white. But the ebay sales offer a chance to own a rare piece of art which has a close connection with Nelson. I was also lucky enough to be given a wonderful, untouched black and white original by a kind friend.

Just key in 'Hamilton 1801' as the ebay search term. If there are any currently on offer up they will come. Postage and insurance to the UK is expensive, (about $29) but worth it. Mine was delayed in the Christmas post and the seller was extremely helpful in tracking the package, and I knew I would be reimbursed if it didn't arrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:52 pm 

eBay can be the source of many an interesting treasure but one has to be alert to the repros and rip-offs that abound.

I've bought and sold Nelson / Trafalgar related items though eBay (including the purchase of an authenticated Nelson letter) but have recently moved my trading activites over to Tazbar where I'm listing paper and ephemera, including Nelson postcards and more modern naval bits and pieces, under the seller ID of Papandeph. (Unashamed plug - please edit this reply if you think it inappropriate.)

Sadly - the day job and voluntary activities gets in the way I've listed only a few of the available items.

I will admit I've made quite a few onine friendships with the Nelson-buying-selling thing and this has been of benefit to both sides - long may it continue.

Unfortunately the changes that eBay have most recently imposed means many sellers are decamping but I'm hoping to keep track of them as they find different venues.

Would it be possible, I wonder, to have on this board a section devoted to buying and selling so as to bring 'stuff' to the attention of interested parties?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Abbie:

I think it would be a great idea to have a buy and sell section to draw attention to/give warnings about things Nelsonian for sale. Do you fancy opening the thread, Abbie? Over to you!

I know we have some seasoned ebay buyers here. Perhaps they could give tips about avoiding scams - though I have to say I have always been delighted with my ebay purchases and have never come across a dishonest seller.

Post subject: Image bank
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:22 am 

What a fabulous idea!

Being an enthusiastic collector on a very small scale, I find ebay a never- ending source of interest.

Some of the best bargains have been hard to find books on Nelson and his world, including an original 1815 'Memoirs of Lady Hamilton.' Always at a fraction of the cost you find with Abebooks etc.

It would be nice to post pictures too, across all threads. Would that be possible?

I'd particularly enjoy adding a thread dedicated to favourite images of Nelson and his world too. The scenes and personalities of the time: a sort of image bank of 18th century Nelson related history.

If so, perhaps someone would be kind enough to provide some easy to follow instructions how to do that. (I'm a complete dunce when it comes to technical stuff.)