Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot versus Légère, 17th June 1815
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:30 pm 

On 17th June 1815, off Cap Corse, the 16-gun brig-sloop Pilot, Commander John Toup Nicolas, fought an action with the 20-gun French corvette Égérie (most English sources identify this vessel as Légère), capitaine de frégate Nicolas Touffet. Shortly afterwards John Toup Nicolas was promoted to Post Captain, possibly in recognition for this action.

The action was not listed in the London Gazette among those qualifying for the Naval Medal. However, there is evidence to suggest that a medal clasp was issued for this action, so perhaps it was added to the list later.
(See http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom ... dom103.htm).

Can anyone throw any light upon this?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilot versus Légère, 17th June 1815
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:26 pm 

That's certainly odd isn't it. I wonder where the website got that information from. I have got a copy of Douglas-Morris's NGSM Medal Roll here and no mention of that action in there.

Certainly the committee that administered the NGSM were criticised for various errors, omissions etc. etc but even so where would the website have picked up that information from.

It might be worth contacting them and I would certainly be interested to know anything you learn from that direction.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilot versus Légère, 17th June 1815
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:20 pm 

Apparently information on this clasp can be found in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society, 1989, volume 28, part 2, pages 134-5. If anyone can track down a copy, I would be interested to know what it says.

The reference to French national archives, identifying the French vessel as the corvette l'Égérie (and not Légère), is:
SHD-Marine BB4 391.

Another point of interest in this action, is that John Toup Nicolas was a brother to Sir Nicholas Harris Nicolas, and he also assisted Joseph Allen when he was compiling material for his "Battles of the British Navy".

Profile E-mail