Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost Portrait of Nelson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

I thought I had posted this information successfully a few days ago but it doesn't seem to be here. Strange.

A long lost portrait (print) of Lord Nelson is now on permanent exhibition in Llandovery, a few miles from where I live. Nelson visited the town on his tour of Wales in 1802 and there was a longstanding story that he had signed a picture of himself though its whereabouts were unknown until recently when it was offered for sale by a private vendor and bought by a member of the Llandovery Historical Society. The society has a permanent exhibition of local historical treasures on display in the Castle Hotel where Nelson stayed when he visited the town. The portrait is signed and dated Nelson & Bronte, Llandovery July 28th 1802 and has been added to the display. I hope to drop in and see it soon.

I slept in Nelson's bed in the hotel on the 250th anniversary of his birth. The hotel has since been refurbished but I hope they have kept the Nelson Room intact (though it doesn't guarantee a good night's sleep - the pavement under the window is about a foot wide and the lorries start thundering past at dawn.)