Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Capt Hugh Pigot a very cruel Captain !
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:57 pm 

I came across this article yesterday and was shocked to see how cruel Captain Hugh Pigot was . I have seen Mutiny on the Bounty but this man was worse than Bligh !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... w-far.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Capt Hugh Pigot a very cruel Captain !
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:29 am 

Stevey,

‘The Black Ship’ is not actually a new book, although the article gives that impression. It was first published in 1963 and it is the Pen and Sword 2009 reprint that is being referred to here. However, I don’t think the book itself has been bettered on the Hermione mutiny, coming as it does from such a distinguished author.

As regards the mutiny itself Pigot was an officer of the worse kind, although probably not the only one, bordering on the sadistic. Frankly, I’m not at all surprised the mutiny happened, particularly with regard to the young midshipman Pigot regularly humilitated, together with his ‘last off the yard’ policy. The mid was a favourite with the ship’s crew and this was one of the incidents that tipped them over the edge. However, there were also other things going on here, old scores being settled, etc. Had the mutineers shown rather more restraint, just arrested Pigot and the other murdered officers (some presumably being innocent) and sailed for home or the nearest naval base, then the Admiralty would probably have looked more kindly on their case. It would certainly have been investigated. The mutineers of course knew what the penalty for mutiny and certainly murder was, hence their handing themselves over to the Spanish afterwards, and they presumably knew also the that the RN would not rest in bringing them to justice.

Whenever the subject of mutiny is mentioned, the ‘infamous’ mutiny on the Bounty usually crops up. I would imagine this is because it is the only one that people generally have heard of, having been the subject of many, largely innaccurate, films. Of course, the fact that it happened in the ‘romantic’ South Pacific gives the story extra spice! However, mutinies were not unknown in the Georgian navy and that on the Bounty was a relatively minor affair when compared with others – and pales into insignificance alongside the fleet mutinies at Spithead and the Nore, April/June 1797.

Comparing Pigot with Bligh one feels some sympathy for the latter, who was somewhat overzealous in his duties (for which I believe he was rebuked by Lord Hood at his court martial) but none, of course, for the former!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:22 pm 

Thanks Kester for the post. Its quite difficult to work out what happened to make such a tragedy for both the mutineers and the Captain and crew. I think the flagrant disregard for young lives when they rushed to get down from the masts and the threat of another flogging was the final straw. The mutineers could for that reason be regarded as people similar in nature to the Tolpuddle Martyrs . They were prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to try to correct the dreadful position they found themselves in . A lot of them had been pressed into the Navy and had nothing much to look forward too .Being so far away they fancied their chances of avoiding the gallows ! Thanks for your spin on this though . I will do a bit more research on this subject .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:04 pm 

Stevey,

It’s likely a moot point as to what the final straw was, but I was wondering if any of his actions were actually influenced by the fleet mutinies a few months earlier. True the Hermione was not directly involved, but word would have spread reasonably quickly to the fleets in other parts of the world and the Admiralty would have been concerned when news of it reached them. Obviously I’m not sticking up for Pigot, but I just wondered if this had any bearing on his actions and, equally, that of the crew.

For the crews part, it might have helped if they hadn’t broken into the rum stores beforehand! As we know, and they presumably must have known, drink does nothing for the thought processes – and I feel sure that some of the mutineers later regretted that they were drunk at the time, since they might have come to the decision I mentioned in my earlier post, with rather better results!

It also crossed my mind what Nelson would have made of the mutiny. It didn’t take me to long to imagine he would think the same as we do, that Pigot was the worst kind of officer, and that the men initially had just grievances. However they then went too far and Nelson would certainly not have condoned that. He and many other officers were of the opinion that it was their conduct that dictated the behaviour of the men under them. If they were treated right and fairly, then they could do almost anything under good leadership. In Nelson’s case this was proved time and again.

It’s perhaps worth mentioning that Nelson thought the mutiny at Spithead was the most manly thing he’d ever seen. Not so, of course with the Nore! Perhaps also worthy of mention is the fact that he was given the ‘Theseus’ as a flagship directly after the mutinies, one of the ships that had been directly involved. There were obviously some disgruntled elements still remaining amongst the crew and the Admiralty decided to give her to Nelson because of his reputation. I don’t think there was any more trouble from them and in fact a note was found one night on her quarterdeck, which praised both him and Captain Miller and in effect saying that the crew were content to be serving under them. I’ll try and dig out the actual wording, unless someone beats me to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:28 am 

Stevey,

Here is the wording to the note found on the Theseus’ quarterdeck:

‘Success attend Admiral Nelson! God bless Captain Miller! We thank them for the officers they have placed over us and will shed every drop of blood in our veins to support them.’

Not so long after this incident many of the men were to do just that, losing their lives – and Nelson his right arm – in the abortive attack on Tenerife.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:34 pm 

Kester

Thanks for all that info .I am so impressed with all that knowledge ! Since I have had Lady Hamiltons Seal .(See my other post)I have spent so much time concentrating on her life that I have not been quite so involved in Nelsons career . I have this week bought "The Sword of Albion " by John Sugden and have started on the first few pages . 950 pages to go ! I have also got Nelson and the Hamiltons on Tour by Edward Gill . I really must do some more reading up . In my other post I found a Horatio Nelson who was around much later ? Do you know who this was in relation to Nelson and why he was able to take his name ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:22 am 

Just found this about the mutiny at the Nore .Interesting as James Watson was later to be found in Hartlepool where Commander Dathan was posted to .See my other post about the Hamilton Seal.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7hs ... th&f=false

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:58 am 

Stevey,

Thanks for the link to a first hand account of the Nore mutiny. Very interesting reading, as is your thread about Lady Hamilton's seal. As I believe Mark mentioned, that is also the first I that have heard of it.

Yes, I believe there was another Horatio Nelson (and of course there were many boys named Horatio after 1805, and probably some before) but I am not too sure of the details. I'm sure Mark or Anna might be able to help there.

You're in for a great read with 'The Sword of Albion' and I'm sure you've read John Sugden's equally good Volume 1 on Nelson's earlier life, 'Nelson – A Dream to Glory'. Sugden I think will be hard to beat and the books will probably become 'the' history of Nelson to read for some time to come.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:56 pm 

To confuse matters, he had a cousin with the same name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Pigot_(Royal_Navy_officer,_born_1775)

Profile E-mail