Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:45 pm 

Reading Vol. 1 of the 'Memoirs and Correspondence of Admiral Lord De Saumarez', (1838) by Sir John Ross, and which is concerned with the Admiral's early career, I came across this reference to the Charon.

In June 1795, Saumarez in the 'Orion' was part of a squadron under Lord Bridport which managed to partially engage the rear of a French fleet off the Isle de Groix. The French managed to escape into L'Orient although some damage was done. One of the leading British ships that engaged was the Orion and she was badly damaged, with a loss of four killed, two dying subsequently, and eighteen wounded. She was ordered to Portsmouth for repairs, Saumarez writing to his beloved brother Richard from St Helens, in a letter dated 12th July, 1795:

'I take the earliest opportunity to acquaint you, that I parted from the fleet last Thursday, with the Charon, hospital ship, which I saw safe into Portland this morning...

A few days after the action we were alarmed by the appearance of an epidemic fever on board; but, by sending the men infected on board the hospital ship, and using timely precaution, I am happy to say it has entirely subsided, but it gave me a great degree of concern: added to this, we have had the small-pox on board; but it has been of so favourable a kind, that the men who have had it are doing well, two excepted, who died on board the hospital ship. Several are now under inoculation, and I hope will recover.' That sounds like a reasonable endorsement for the treatment received on board the hospital ship.

Saumarez was obviously not a stranger to smallpox, since two years before he had written in a letter to his brother, 'Lady S. writes to me that our dear little girl is better; I wish to hear that she is sufficiently well to be inoculated. I shall be happy to have it over.'

Saumarez was obviously an advocate of inoculation for smallpox, but when did this become common practice: a) ashore; b) in the navy? I imagine there might have been some opposition to it.

Kester

Post subject: Smallpox in the RN
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:47 pm 

Kester!

That protection against amallpox could be acquired by innoculation was known in throughout 18thC and, famously, the technique been brought back from Turkey by Lady Worsley Montague. Its use was however restricted to the Royal Family and upper clases. In the population at large, demand was spasmodic and limited - the procedure was complicated and not widely available; and many were either afraid of it or objected on religious grounds. It was also risky. The early technique involved introducing live infected smallpox matter into the bloodstream, with the result that - rather acquiring a modified form of the disease - some (including an infant son of the Royal Family) actually got smallpox and died. Some, upper class parents, like Saumarez and Collingwood, however obviously took the risk. It was also used by pioneering doctors who did not have to worry about 'winning hearts and minds'. On one occasion, prisoners in Newgate were vaccinated; on others, whole regiments of the army. And Thomas Trotter tried it out occasionally within the Channel Fleet in the early 1790s.

In 1798/9. Jenner, revolutionised the procedure by publishing his work on a new vaccination technique which involved acquiring immunity by introducting into the bloodstream the milder form of cowpox - thus effectively eliminating the risk of catching real smallpox as a side effect. This removed the risk. After that it was just a matter of availability and winning people over.

Although not a major maritime disease, the effects of smallpox on a warship was potentially devastating and when in port, ships could never be isolated from contact with the shore where it was always present. Apart from the odd experiment however, before the 1790s, the only real remedy was to instantly isolate the victim and wait for the disease to run its course.

The professional abilities and dedication of naval surgeons as a group had improved enormously by the 1790s. Jenner's published findings were therefore seized on with alacrity by men like Trotter who were aware of the devastating potential of smallpox, and throughout 1800 the Admiralty was bombarded with letters from surgeons urging them to introduce vaccination into the fleet on Jenner's principles. Some even - at their own expense - used it in their own ships and were able to report uniformly favourable results. Naval sugeons even clubbed together and presented Jenner with a gold snuff box (his first public tribute) in recognition of the importance to them of his work. In August 1800, the Sick and Hurt Board accordingly ordered that trials be carried out on 'Triumph'; but so vociforous had the demand become, that in September, the Admiralty ordered that smallpox vaccination should be introduce throughout the navy, and made available to all who wanted it (or could be persuaded to have it!). It was used in the navy on this typically British voluntary basis until the 1860s.

Thus, action by naval surgeons and the authorities ensured that the RN promptly introduced the latest medical techniques and kept the RN free from smallpox.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Brian says: 'Jenner's published findings were seized on with alacrity by men like Trotter....'

Trotter's admiration was clearly unbounded. For anyone interested, I have posted an extract of Dr Trotter's ode in praise of Jenner on the 'Poetry' thread, a touching tribute from one doctor to another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:01 pm 

Brian,

Many thanks for all that information; somehow I thought you might know! I understood that inoculation was used from the 18th Cent but wasn't sure how widespread its use was, nor about the procedure, which doesn't sound all that pleasant.

Incidentally, I haven't read it in Saumarez' 'Memoirs and Correspondence' yet, if it is mentioned, but do you happen to know if his daughter survived?

Tycho, Thanks for the link.

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:05 pm 

Kester,

The contemporary reference books say that Saumarez had three daughters, Mary (1792-1812), Martha-Harrriet and Amelia - both of whom were alive in the 1830s. Mary must therefore have been the inoculee - and she did indeed survive!

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:06 am 

Brian,

Thanks again.

Saumarez, I'm sure would have been much relieved and I'll probably come across some reference to it in his Memoirs - probably in a letter to his beloved brother Richard, since it doesn't seem as yet that he writes to his wife that often - or perhaps Ross was rather selective in his choice of letters.

Kester