Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nelson Statues
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:20 pm 

Ray

I just had a quick mooch in the loft and I found the photograph I mentioned above - which I took myself at Portmeirion. I was quite right that at that time it needed some serious TLC. From other stuff that was with the photo I think it was the summer of 1990.

Portmeirion is well worth a visit especially if you hit lucky with a warm sunny day. Inevitably it is a bit touristy but it is so unusual that that doesn't really detract from it. Good luck if you do make it!

I am still a bit intrigued as to whether the Corby and Portmeirion statues were "one offs" or "catalogue items" but unfortunately haven't got time to properly follow that up.

I've got one more item for consideration which I will try and post up in the next couple of days.

Attachment:
port.jpg
port.jpg [ 128.04 KiB | Viewed 131915 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:36 pm 

This is intriguing. Found in a newspaper from 1908.

If this statue by Thorvaldsen did exist I wonder if it has survived and where it is today.

A bit about Bertel Thorvaldsen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertel_Thorvaldsen

Attachment:
Thor.jpg
Thor.jpg [ 53.08 KiB | Viewed 131909 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:17 pm 

Mark

As this article you've found mentions that the Thorwaldsen Museum may purchase the statue, I have just gone into the museum website and searched through their sculpture collection. There are 854 items featured including frescoes, busts, statues and miscellaneous heads etc. Unfortunately none of these appear to resemble Nelson. (That's enough culture for one day).

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:43 pm 

Phil wrote:
Mark

As this article you've found mentions that the Thorwaldsen Museum may purchase the statue, I have just gone into the museum website and searched through their sculpture collection. There are 854 items featured including frescoes, busts, statues and miscellaneous heads etc. Unfortunately none of these appear to resemble Nelson. (That's enough culture for one day).

Phil

Thanks for that Phil. I did much the same myself.

I tried one last roll of the dice and emailed a copy of the article over to the museum. Just a short while ago received this reply.

"Thank you for your inquiry.

We do not have any knowledge of a statue representing Lord Nelson executed by Bertel Thorvaldsen. Yet, in the Danish newspaper “Fædrelandet” they mentioned a bust on 1. September 1857. The newspaper’s message is, that a bust in human size representing “Admiral Nelson” had been sold at an auction in Bergen, Norway. And one presumed that the bust was ”an original work of Thorvaldsen”.

After this date in 1857, we have never again heard about neither a bust nor a statue representing Lord Nelson. We’ve looked in the three volumes which Else Kai Sass’ wrote about Thorvaldsen’s portrait busts (Thorvaldsens Portrætbuster, 1963). But not either she has mentioned a work of Lord Nelson.

I hope this information is useful for your further investigations."

So I guess it will have to remain a mystery. Interesting though! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:31 pm 

Ray

I appreciate that you don't want to include former statues but I was thinking about a thread we had on here some while back about statues of Nelson and Wellington that used to be on the beach at Southsea. They were inexplicably "lost". I tried to find the original thread but the Search tool gave me an error message so here a couple of items from other sources.

Firstly an illustration of the statues (extreme left and extreme right) when they were unveiled in 1850.

Attachment:
Port2.jpg
Port2.jpg [ 180.67 KiB | Viewed 131894 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm 

And a 20th century newspaper article which gives brief details of the origins and loss of the statues.

Attachment:
Port1.jpg
Port1.jpg [ 83.71 KiB | Viewed 131894 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:13 pm 

Rather a late entry I'm afraid to the statue 'register' but hopefully may still be of interest.

I have just come across a paragraph in " What's left of Nelson " a book published in 1995 by Leo Marriott (p.135). This mentions a statue that could be located in Taiwan. Apparently it was a statue originally commissioned by a Scottish businessman in 1836 (along with another of the Duke of Wellington) for his home in the Morningside district of Edinburgh. They were sold in 1909 to the owner of a house in Coldstream, where they remained until 1987 and were eventually sold at auction in 1992. The Nelson statue was sold to an unnamed gentleman from Taiwan for £15,000.

Unfortunately there is no illustration in the book of this statue or any further details of it's size or what it's made of but presumably must be quite a substantial figure given the eventual sale price.

I have searched on the internet but couldn't come up with any further information, so this remains a 'lost' statue at the moment. One for Indiana Jones perhaps.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:37 pm 

Following my post above regarding the Nelson statue possibly located in Taiwan, on recently glancing through volume 4 of the Nelson Dispatch (part 10 April 1993 p.187), I came across an article written by 'Tertius' concerning it's history.

The Nelson Statue and it's companion the Duke of Wellington formed part of a property owned by Alexander Falconer, a Scotsman who had been a merchant with the East India company. On retirement he commissioned an architect, Thomas Hamilton to convert an existing building, Morningside Lodge into a larger home, renaming it Falcon Hall. The front of the building was designed with 12 pillars of Craigleith stone, flanked by seven feet tall statues of Nelson & Wellington in Craigleith liver rock. These were the work of the Lanark sculptor, Robert Forrest. Nelson is depicted standing in naval uniform, with his cloak draped over his shoulders, his left hand holding a telescope and resting on a ship's wheel, his left foot on a coil of rope and an anchor on the ground.

In 1909, four years before Falcon Hall was demolished, the two statues were sold to the owners of Lennel House at Coldstream where they featured in the Italian garden. In 1987, despite the local planning office trying to serve a listed building order on the owners to prevent them being removed, they were bought by Thomas Crowther & Sons of North End Road in London, dealers in Antique & Architectural furnishings.

In October 1992, the firm closed and the two statues were sold at auction by Christies. There was a bid by the National Museums of Scotland to save the statues for return to them but they were sold, the Wellington statue to an English dealer and the Nelson to a gentleman from Taiwan. The article being written in 1993 gives of course, no further indication of their current whereabouts.

Two black & white pictures of the statues accompany the article and appear to show them in either the dealers warehouse or perhaps at Christies stores. There is a picture of the frontage of Falcon Hall on wikipedia which appears to show the two statues in-situ.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Exmouth sea cadets have inherited this 112 year old carving (not quite a statue?) of Nelson.

https://tinyurl.com/j2bzxsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:04 am 

tycheo wrote:
Exmouth sea cadets have inherited this 112 year old carving (not quite a statue?) of Nelson.

https://tinyurl.com/j2bzxsy

That's interesting, I didn't know about the one in Barbados.

Last edited by Gaston on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:24 am 

I remembered this statue in Holmeside, Sunderland from when I was a kid but sadly Google and the Sunderland Antiquarian Society tell me it's Sir Walter Raleigh. :(
BUT - it is on the premises of Nelson and Son, Roofing Contractors, btm left quarter of the street view below - so, close but no cigar. (Though there could have been a cigar if Raleigh brought the tobacco!)
Sorry
Cheers, MTS

Attachment:
Raleigh in Holmside.JPG
Raleigh in Holmside.JPG [ 231.18 KiB | Viewed 130962 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:22 pm 

Hi Guys, the quest for Nelson statues goes on! Recently visited Berkshire College of Agriculture, originally Hall Place, the seat of Sir George Clayton East. Being bit of a Nelson fan he commissioned a statue of Lord Nelson (in the 1830s) and had a brick pyramid built beside it. All that remains of Nelson's statue is the base with part of his feet. Most of the pyramid remains. I've searched high and low for an original sketch or print of this statue at Hall Place but to no avail. There must be one as anyone in those days going to the expense of erecting such a monument would have made a record of it. Help!

Ray

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am 

raldis wrote:
Hi Guys, the quest for Nelson statues goes on! Recently visited Berkshire College of Agriculture, originally Hall Place, the seat of Sir George Clayton East. Being bit of a phenq fani ordered it from he commissioned a statue of Lord Nelson (in the 1830s) and had a brick pyramid built beside it. All that remains of Nelson's statue is the base with part of his feet. Most of the pyramid remains. I've searched phentermine over the counter on google and found a list high and low for an original sketch or print of this statue at Hall Place but to no avail. There must be one as anyone in those days going to the expense of erecting such a monument would have made a record of it. Help!

Ray

Although I live in the US right now, I will be visiting Berkshire College of Agriculture next month. I'm a senior professor and I've got to deliver two lectures there. Because the lectures are 4 days apart, I will have 3 days to spare. Also, I've got a couple of highly-placed friend in Maidenhead, Berkshire. I'll try my best to investigate and locate the sketch or print and let you know the results.

Last edited by CliffordDarling on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:00 pm 

Mark Barrett wrote:
raldis wrote:
Thanks Phil,

Slightly embarrassed at missing St Paul's of my list, but the Corby Castle statue is new to me, thanks. That makes it 12 so far.

Ray

Corby Castle is a new one on me too Ray. I think it is made of Coade Stone so may have come from the company's catalogue (Coade & Sealy at the time I think)

I have 2 or 3 suggestions of my own. Will try to add them over the next day or so. Unless anyone beats me to it. :)

Here is an image of the Corby Castle statue from the web. It shows owner's URL so I don't think is offending any copyright.

Attachment:
nelsons-statue-in-the-grounds-of-corby-castle-cumbria-england-uk-EGW16T.jpg

Hi,
I'm certain that a few while back they restored the Nelson Pillar in Montreal and the first statue was worn to the point that it was supplanted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm 

Are there any statues in Ontario?

Profile E-mail