Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Emma Hamilton Society launching 26th April 2016
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:19 pm 

I hope this is OK to share here (I'm sure Nelson would approve!), I'm launching the Emma Hamilton Society because Emma was amazing too. There's also a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/emmahamiltonsociety Please Like the Facebook page and Join via the http://www.emmahamiltonsociety.co.uk/ website Login/Sign Up link. I want everyone Emma-minded to come together in one place. Lily

Attachments:
launchflier3.jpg
launchflier3.jpg [ 279.62 KiB | Viewed 10184 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Emma Hamilton Society launching 26th April 2016
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:40 pm 

The Emma Hamilton Society is a wonderful idea and Lily is the ideal person to launch it! Happy Birthday, Emma (in advance)!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations to Lilystyle for her enterprise and enthusiasm in creating the Emma Hamilton Society which I hope will bring greater appreciation of Lady Hamilton, in the words of her daughter, Horatia, 'a very superior woman'.

I'd be very happy for Nelson & His World to be included in the list of supporters.

Here's to Emma (and all of us)!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:05 pm 

Congratulations & good luck for the launch of this society. Your post has already provided us with some useful information as I notice reading your launch flier that the NMM is holding an exhibition of Emma's life later this year.

I have just checked their website and it's entitled "Seduction & Celebrity: The Spectacular Life of Emma Hamilton" opening in November 2016.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:05 pm 

That's right, Phil, I'm really excited about this exhibition. There's also an exciting soon-to-be-published book about Emma and Nelson, That Hamilton Woman by Barry Gough targeted to coincide with the exhibition. You can read the details about it on the EH Soc News and Events page just under the listing for the NMM exhibition. I'm getting a wonderful feeling that Emma Time is finally upon us

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:11 pm 

It is indeed Emma time! That Hamilton Woman can be pre-ordered from Amazon and others. For any who have not seen it, The Divine Lady (1929) with Corinne Griffith is a wonderful film. It shows Emma's intervention with Maria Carolina and the resultant English victory at the Nile. RaeRae Franchi, a N&HW supporter, uploaded it to YouTube in installments, but it can also be bought through Amazon and others.

The Divine Lady was written by Canadian author Lily Moresby Adams, who used a number of pseudonyms. Like Nelson's Enchantress author Augusta Patterson de Lacy Lacy, she was the daughter of admirals.

From Wikipedia: Rear Admiral John Moresby (15 March 1830 – 12 July 1922) was a British Naval Officer who explored the coast of New Guinea and discovered the site of Port Moresby.

Moresby was born in Allerford, Somerset, England, the son of Admiral Sir Fairfax Moresby.[1] He joined the Navy at an early age as a Volunteer 1st Class in HMS Victor, and rose to be in charge of the 1,031 ton paddle steamer cruiser HMS Basilisk in which he made hydrological surveys around eastern New Guinea.[2] During the survey of the southern coast he discovered the harbour which he named Fairfax after his father. The town established there, based on already existing native villages (principally Hanuabada) was named Port Moresby and is now the nation's capital.[3]

John Moresby was also searching for a shorter route between Australia and China and on the eastern tip of the island he discovered the China Straits. He continued exploring along the north west coast as far as the Huon Gulf.

On 29 September 1876, Moresby took command of HMS Endymion, remaining in this position until 6 March 1878.[4]

He was later promoted to Rear Admiral and died on 12 July 1922 in Fareham, Hampshire, England.[1]

Last edited by jesse on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:40 pm 

Great Lily. I will see about joining. I am still hoping that I can find out about Emma Hamilton's black maid Fatima.