Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Yet another Nelson Letter!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

I got a Google alert about a letter written by Nelson to Captain Southeron of HMS Excellent which is about to be auctioned by Hanson's of Derby on 1 July with a guide price of £20-30,000. I've had a quick look at the auctioneer's website but can't locate the item. Does anybody fancy having a look and telling us more?

Update: have just found a bit more. The letter is not in Nelson's hand, though it bears his signature Nelson & Bronte. Despite the auctioneer's claim that the contents are of significance, the estimate seems pretty steep to me. Any comments?

(Thanks to Phil for the update on the sale price of the 'diamond' letter. That seemed very low to me when you consider that a Nelson 'free front' can go for round about £2000.)

Here's Hanson's puff:

http://www.hansonsauctioneers.co.uk/pag ... php?id=623

Post subject: Re: Yet another Nelson Letter!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:58 am 

Hi Anna

He certainly was a prolific letter writer!

I see on Hansons website that they have not yet posted an online catalogue, so it will be interesting to see the full content of the letter and any additional information the auctioneers provide.

Meanwhile I've again looked in the Geoffrey Rawson letter collection book and this features a letter/memorandum addressed ' To the Respective Captains ' written on the Victory on 28th April 1804, the same date quoted by the Hanson newsletter. This gives Nelson's general views on attacking the French in a number of locations. If the content is the same, then am I right in assuming that copies would be written out by his secretary and then just signed by Nelson for sending to the individual captains.

If this is so, then do letters of this nature command as high a price as a letter solely written by him? The £58,000 letter referred to was I think, from looking at a BBC news report from June 2013, a personal letter from Nelson to a Royal Marine Major written by him in October 1804, (although the BBC mention a figure of £54,500).

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Sold for £17,000.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:44 am 

Am I the only one shocked that this letter went for so much, especially compared to the one re the diamond? It's not in Nelson's hand and doesn't even have the rarity of being previously unpublished, as it is in Nicolas' "Dispatches..." :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I agree. I thought the estimate was ambitiously high, for all the reasons you point out. I presume that was the hammer price, so add another 20% for buyer's premium and VAT. Gulp.

A very similar document, in the hand of Nelson's secretary Scott, who was killed at Trafalgar, addressed to Lord Mark Kerr of the Fisard and signed by Nelson himself, is currently for sale on a dealer's website for £5,500.