Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding a Hero's portrait
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 am 

Battle of the Nile. My Grandfather (4 x removed) was John Taylor. He was the seaman aboard the Frigate, Alcmene (in 1798) who jumped into the sea and retrieved documents thrown overboard by Napoleon's men. For his heroics he was given a pension of 20 pounds a year by the city of London and said to have had his portrait painted by the National Gallery.

I'm wondering if anybody might have information regarding how to find his portrait? He was born in 1775 in Arbroath, Scotland. He emmigrated to Canada and died in 1849 in Guleph, Ontario. I have reached out to the National Portrait gallery in London and the national Gallery in Scotland to no avail.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Finding a Hero's portrait
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 am 

I don't think the Alcmene was at the Nile - but details here might fit with your story.
http://www.ageofnelson.org/MichaelPhill ... p?ref=0100
it says - In December 1798 a rebellion in Naples allowed the French to enter and the Royal Family fled in NELSON's VANGUARD.
On the 20th. NELSON ordered three barges and the cutter of ALCMENE, armed with cutlasses only, to assist in the evacuation of Naples. Only one barge was to be at the wharf, the others to lay on their oars outside the rocks. The other boats from ALCMENE were to report to VANGUARD and, with 4 or 6 soldiers in each, row half way towards the Mola Figlio.
The ALCMENE was ordered to be ready to slip in the night if necessary. While VANGUARD took the Royal Family to Palermo on the 23rd., ALCMENE remained at Naples watching the Neapolitan ships of war. These were burnt in January 1799 by the Portuguese against NELSON's orders.

sorry, can't help with locating the portrait.

Cheers, MTS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Finding a Hero's portrait
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 am 

There is an online site called ART UK. This lists paintings and their whereabouts in all our public galleries. However, if this painting exists it may be in private ownership. It is of course unfortunate that you don't have knowledge of the artist concerned.

Phil

Profile E-mail