Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: UK Tour 1801
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:18 pm 

Is there are any details of the tour of the UK made by Nelson, and Emma & William Hamilton in autumn 1801?
I am trying to ascertain their where abouts in November 1801 and if they were in the West Country.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: UK Tour 1801
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Lord Nelson was at home at Merton during November 1801 - there are a number of letters sent by him from Merton at this time. However, he did make a tour of Wales and the West Country in 1802 accompanied by Sir William & Lady Hamilton. I can supply details of their itinerary if this would help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:08 pm 

Thanks Anna that would be helpful

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Busy this evening but will dig out the details and post tomorrow morning - hope that's OK?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 am 

If you are interested in the 1802 tour, I can recommend a book published by the Nelson Museum in Monmouth called 'Nelson and the Hamiltons on Tour' by Edward Gill. An excellent little reference book which covers in detail each town they visited. It was published in 1987 but you can normally find this for sale online.

I read this recently and can thoroughly recommend it.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Nelson, with Sir William and Lady Hamilton, travelled through Wales and the West Country between 20th July and 21st September 1802. Nelson noted the places they visited and kept detailed accounts of the expenditure on inns, servants, horses etc,

These are the towns mentioned in the itinerary: Merton-Hounslow-Henley-Benson-Oxford-Woodstock-Blenheim-Burford-Gloster(his spelling)-Ross-Monmouth-Abergavenny-Brecon-Myrter Tydder (MerthyrTydfil)-Trecastle-Llandovery-Carmarthen-Narbeth-Milford Haven-Picton-Stackpole-Pembroke-Tenby-St Clairs-Swansey(Swansea)-Pyll-Yewbridge-Cardiff-Newport-Chepstow-Monmouth-Hereford-Leominster-Ludlow-Tenbury-Worcester-Bromsgrove-Birmingham-Warwick-Coventry-Danchurch-Daintree-Towcester-Stratford-Dunstable-St Albans-Watford-Brentford-Merton.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:15 am 

Thanks Anna. That is helpful as it clears up a question I had. Did Nelson and company visit Bath and surrounding area on the tour? They didn't so that clears that up.

Jonathan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:57 am 

Nelson did make several visits to Bath prior to 1800. The first in 1781, then 1784, 88, 97 and finally 1798.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the reminder,Phil - I'd completely forgotten all the Bath trips! Doh!

Jonathan - do post again if you need help with more info.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:31 pm 

Thanks for your help Anna and Phil. I knew about some of the Bath visits. I know in 1781 Nelson stayed in Pierrepoint Street where there is a plaque.
Do you happen to know of any other addresses he stayed on subsequent visits?
I haven't found any references but could you possibly confirm that Nelson ( and/or) Emma never visited Bristol or surrounding area?

I am a local historian in Brislington ( a former Somerset village, now a suburb of Bristol) .In Brislington there is house built c 1805 ( or earlier) called "Nelson's Glory" which has the famous message "Let Every Englishman......" etc on a plaque on the front of the house .

i am currently researching a newspaper article on Nelson and any Bath/Bristol area connections.

Regards

Jonathan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Jonathan:

I've been browsing through old posts here, and note that Nelson and Fanny rented accommodation in Bath at 12 Abbey Green.

Fanny also rented a property at 221 King Street Bath after Nelson left their marriage. She lived with Nelson's father until his death. I think Nelson steered clear of Bath after the separation to avoid any risk of meeting her.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:37 pm 

Thanks for that Anna. Not sure if King Street in Bath goes up to No 221 so it might be 22 or 21?
Yes, I picked up that Fanny and Nelson's father spent a lot of time together in Bath after the marriage break up and of course
Revd Nelson died there.

Jonathan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:15 pm 

Jonathan:

You seem to have Nelson's Bath connections pretty well covered.

2 Pierrepont Street appears to be a popular lodging for him. In addition to 1781, he also stayed there on his visits in 1784 and 1788. In 1794 Fanny rented a property at 17 New King Street and it was there that Nelson stayed on his return from the action at Tenerife, to be nursed by his wife following the amputation of his right arm.

Anna has mentioned their staying at 12 Abbey Green. The book I have used as a reference for this information (Nelson and Bath by Louis Hodgkin, pub. by the Nelson Society 2004 edn) gives this as actually being no: 11. You probably know that the building (along with No:10) was subsequently converted and is now the 'Crystal Palace' public house.

A quick perusal of a couple of other books does not mention Nelson and Emma ever visiting the Bristol area (not conclusive of course) but a biography of Fanny mentions after the 1788 Bath visit, Nelson and Fanny going on to Bristol, then Clifton and also to Exmouth but no details given of actual address's etc . I think Fanny had relations and friends in Bristol.

I hope this additional information is useful. Good Luck with the article.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:58 pm 

Jonathan

I should have made it clearer in my earlier post today regarding 17 New King Street, Nelson recuperated there in 1797 after the loss of his arm.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:29 pm 

Hi Phil Thank you so much for the information. I have managed to find out a lot more detail for my article.
Yes, I had picked up about 12 Abbey Green being a pub now i have seen it. Fanny did indeed have relations in Bristol, the Tobin family and I have found out some information about them. One of them was a plantation owner on Nevis where Fanny lived. Fanny was also a friend of yet another Nevis plantation owner, John Pinney and she was guardian to his children for a period when she was living in Salisbury with her first husband. Pinney's house in Bristol is open to the public as "The Georgian House".
I have also discovered Nelson's connections with Cricket House, Cricket St Thomas, near Chard, Somerset, then home of Admiral Hood , which he visited several times with Emma.

I think the article will probably be published to coincide with Trafalgar Day in October

Jonathan

Profile E-mail