Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sir William Hamilton - New Book
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

This month's Literary Review reports on a book to be published on October 14th: 'The Hamilton Letters: the Naples Dispatches of Sir William Hamilton' ed. John Davis and Giovanni Capuano, published by I. B. Tauris.

ISBN-10 1845116119; ISBN-13 978-1845116118 Price £25.

This is the first collection of Sir William's complete ambassadorial correspondence for the period 1797-99, and 'sheds vivid light' on this eventful period in Neapolitan history and Nelson's part in it.

Post subject: New Sir William Hamilton book
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:16 pm 

I'd had this ordered with Amazon.co.uk for around six months and the date for publication kept changing... delayed... delayed... delayed... until Amazon finally sent an apology with the news that they were cancelling the order a couple of months ago.

It now looks like the book is back on the release list, and I hope it sees the light of day on October 14th.

If the collection is 'complete' that would be a staggering achievement indeed!

It'll be interesting to discover what's between the covers, but if anyone is thinking of taking a punt, do be sure it's actually on the streets before purchasing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks for the info, Mira.

I think the book really will be on the shelves next month. Presumably, the reviewer has had a copy in his hands, so October 14th as the publication date looks very promising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Mira:

Amazon now have the book. I had my order confirmed this morning. There are only three copies left, so hurry if you want one!

Incidentally, Amazon's new search system is very odd. I keyed in the relevant info, carefully checking spelling, but got no result.

Eventually, I just Googled 'Hamilton Letters davis and capuano' and up it came on Amazon's website. Weird.

It's £19 and a few pence, by the way, rather than the publisher's price of £25.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:21 am 

Many thanks for that Tycho. Done.

Hopefully looking forward to some interesting reading over the next few days.

Post subject: The Hamilton Letters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm 

'Well now', as the authors John A Davis and Giovanni Capuano say so very modestly at the end of this fascinating and illuminating book.

Well now, as we enter the final chapter, we are invited to reconsider events in the Bay of Naples in the summer of 1799, by the authors' introduction of a previously unknown/unpublished document, unearthed at the National Archives in London:

Quote:
'The document can shed new light on the events that took place between the Treaty of the 19th June 1799 and the trick that Lord Nelson, Sir William and Lady Hamilton supposedly played to persuade the Jacobins to evacuate the castle of St. Elmo.'

Surely another understatement? From here on things become very interesting indeed. Explosive might be a better word to relate the book's concluding evidence on the parts played by the Sicilian Royal family, the British 'Tria Juncta in Uno' and Cardinal Ruffo at one of the most controversial, contentious and hotly debated moments of Nelson's career.

It would be really unfair to a new publication to add too much more about the content, commentary and conclusions of 'The Hamilton Letters.' But for anyone interested in Nelson's Neapolitan odyssey, and for those who appreciate a surprising punchline after a hugely informative and thoroughly engrossing read, this book should deliver on both counts.

The opportunity to explore so many of Sir William Hamilton's home dispatches of the time, gathered together in one place and presented chronologically, whilst it doesn't change the perception of the man, adds vocabulary and colour, together with vivid detail and a clear appreciation of the pervading mood in a period large with events.

It's notable how often Sir William refers to this or that 'interesting moment' throughout the book. For the main players - particularly for Sir William - the period covered by 'The Hamilton Letters' is a stark reminder of the old Chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times.'

A super resource and lots of facts to dip into, with or without the revelations of the final chapter. This will easily stand the test of second, third and subsequent readings. Well worth the £19.95 discounted price from Amazon books.

Last edited by Mira on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, Mira, can't wait for my copy. The Pony Express is a little delayed down yer in Zummerset so no delivery as yet.

Thank you for that enticing resumé. I have SO much to do at the moment - but I shall have to make time for this.